History in Structure

Augustine Steward's House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Norwich, Norfolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.6315 / 52°37'53"N

Longitude: 1.2986 / 1°17'54"E

OS Eastings: 623321

OS Northings: 308860

OS Grid: TG233088

Mapcode National: GBR W9T.51

Mapcode Global: WHMTM.X3KY

Plus Code: 9F43J7JX+JC

Entry Name: Augustine Steward's House

Listing Date: 26 February 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1372527

English Heritage Legacy ID: 229671

ID on this website: 101372527

Location: The Close, Norwich, Norfolk, NR3

County: Norfolk

District: Norwich

Electoral Ward/Division: Thorpe Hamlet

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Norwich

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Norwich St George, Tombland

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Tagged with: House

Find accommodation in


(west side)
26.2.54. No. 14
(Augustine Steward's
House, now office. C16 and later. Painted brick at ground floor, exposed
close studding with painted brick infill at first floor; rendered above.
Hioped gable pantile roof. 3 storeys and cellar with first-floor jetty.
Main part: C19 half-glazed door with glazing bars and overlight to left.
Large window with 3 four-centred lights, glazing bars and decorated spandrels.
Joined pair of mullioned and transomed first-floor windows and a joined pair
of second-floor casements. C17(?) wing to left is supported on 2 main posts
with braces and a bressumer over Tombland Alley. Original (?) first-floor
mullioned and transomed window of 3 lights; fixed glazing-bar window at
second floor. Lead rainwater head and downpipe. Side elevation of main
part to Tombland Alley has continuous first-floor jetty and 6 first-floor
windows. Ground-floor windows include 2 with pairs of elaborately carved
shutters. Several mullioned and transomed first-floor windows have iron-
framed casements. 2 lead rainwater heads. Interior has moulded ceiling
beams. Built for Augustine Steward - a wealthy mercer who was Sheriff in
1526, Mayor of Norwich in 1534, 1546 and 1556 and Burgess in Parliament in
1547. Reputedly erected in 1549. Extensive restoration C.1900 and later.
Roof partly destroyed by fire in 1944.

Listing NGR: TG2332108860

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.