This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6372 / 52°38'13"N
Longitude: 1.5474 / 1°32'50"E
OS Eastings: 640118
OS Northings: 310292
OS Grid: TG401102
Mapcode National: GBR XK7.N1H
Mapcode Global: WHMTK.RZ14
Plus Code: 9F43JGPW+VW
Entry Name: Church of St Edmund
Listing Date: 25 September 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1372674
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228584
Location: Acle, Broadland, Norfolk, NR13
Civil Parish: Acle
Built-Up Area: Acle
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Acle
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
ACLE NORWICH ROAD
TG 41 SW
2/8 Church of St. Edmund.
Parish Church. C13 and C14 with some restoration in the 1860's by R.M. Phipson
(nave) and Ewan Christian (chancel). Flint with limestone and brick dressings.
Nave roof thatched, chancel slated; lead roofs to north and south porches.
West tower, nave, chancel, north and south porches. Round west tower with
C13 octagonal bell stage with tall single lancet in each face. C15 embattled
parapet with flushwork panels and corner pinnacles in the form of figures
on octagonal bases. Perpendicular 3-light west window. Polygonal stair turret
at south-west junction with nave, rendered over. C15 two-storey south porch;
two-light upper window in gable with square label mould. Square headed 2-light
east and west windows. Stair toparvise in south-east angle, supported on
a shallow brick arch. Nave windows generally of early C14 with cusped 'Y'
tracery, some restored. Earlier two-light window without cusping on west side
of porch. C16 rood stair turret at south east corner of nave with flint with
brick quoins, and elongated quatrefoil openings. Chancel windows 3-light
Decorated divided by staged buttresses. Low side window on south of chancel
unglazed and fitted with wooden shutter. 3-light Decorated east window,
restored. Angle buttresses to east gable. 2-light window with square head
and label mould at north-east of nave. C15 north porch of knapped and galleted
flint with polygonal stair turret at north east angle. Gable has angle
buttresses with flushwork in base courses. Doorway with carved spandrels :
kneeling figures with rosaries, possibly the donors. Above the doorway a triple
opening with central stooled niche flanked by two lower openings with cusped
ogee heads, all under square label moulds. 2-light 'Y' tracery window to west
of porch. C19 flue of stone-dressed flint on west side, with octagonal stone
chimney cap. Roofs C19; ribbed barrel vault with boarded ceiling over nave,
scissor-braced rafter roof over chancel. Rood stair turret at south east corner
of nave contains reconstructed remains of Romanesque doorway found in nave
walls in 1927. C15 screen with 2-light divisions with ogee heads in two tiers.
Painted panels in base. Very fine C15 octagonal font on two steps, the upper
one decorated with quatrefoils and an inscription giving the date 1410. Stem
carved with four lions and four wild men. The panels of the bowl carved with
the Trinity, four angels, a Pieta and angels with the Instruments of the
Passion and the Evangelistic symbols. Remains of original colouring. C19 stone
tower screen with central ogee-headed doorway. North wall of chancel has C14
inscription referring to the Black Death of 1349, and a brass to Thomas Stones
(+1627) Monument to Jerimiah Berry, +1767, on south wall of chancel by W.
Lane of Norwich. Triple dropped-cill sedilia with ogee arches. Good piscina
with shelf and crocketted head.
Listing NGR: TG4011810292
Other nearby listed buildings