This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8457 / 52°50'44"N
Longitude: 1.4487 / 1°26'55"E
OS Eastings: 632330
OS Northings: 333151
OS Grid: TG323331
Mapcode National: GBR XGL.M26
Mapcode Global: WHMSK.7Q2S
Plus Code: 9F43RCWX+7F
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 16 April 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1373426
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224232
Location: Bacton, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR28
Civil Parish: Bacton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Edingthorpe All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 33 SW
4/17 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C12 west tower, C12 nave remodelled C14, chancel C14,
remodelled C19. Flint with ashlar dressings. Thatched nave roof, pantiles
to chancel. 3 stage circular tower. Cusped lancet to west below square hood
on labels. Brick lancets to ringing chamber below late C14 octagonal belfry
stage (bequest to tower 1375). Belfry windows of 2 lights with mouchettes
below square hoods on labels. Brick quoins and brick repairs to window
mullions. Nave with diagonal corner buttresses, stepped buttresses to flanks.
Gabled south porch supported by diagonal buttresses. Double chamfered arch
on circular responds below arched statuary niche. Brick parapet on kneelers.
Wave moulded inner doorway with hood mould on head stops (eastern head stop
missing). C14 timber door of overlapping wave and hollow moulded planks.
Porch with blocked side lancets. 3 south nave windows : one 2-light Y tracery
window, 2-light reticulated and 3-light ogee window below depressed arch.
One 2-light cusped chancel south window. Diagonal chancel east buttresses
flank 3-light reticulated east window. Gable head C19 brick. No north
chancel windows. 3 reticulated north nave windows of 2 or 3 lights below
4-centred arches with hood moulds on labels. Late C12 north door with
chamfered jambs and arch on square imposts. The arch is pointed. Interior.
Double chamfered tower arch with hood mould. C19 boarded roof with original
tie beams and ashlaring. C14 octagonal font with panelled stem in form of
2 tall trefoiled arches each face. Bowl decorated by encircled quatrefoils.
Nave north wall painted c.1400. To west St. Christopher, to east the Seven
Works of Mercy, each scene depicted intertwined with branches of a tree (from
Matthew 25.35). Arched rood screen door in north wall below cusped and sub-
cusped statuary niche. Niche, pedestal and surround painted with fleurons.
Mid C14 chancel screen of 4 bays right and left of ogee opening, the dado
divided into 3 bays each with a painted saint below painted tracery arch
(Saints from left to right : St. Bartholemew, St. Andrew, St. Peter, St. Paul,
St. Barbara, St. James). Pierced tracery head of screen supported on circular
muntins. Central ogeed arch with spandrels filled by pointed stars in wheels.
Moulded top rail. Cusped piscina in south nave wall. Panelled reading desk
dated 1587. Panelled pulpit dated 1632 with scrolled brackets rising from
octagonal stem. C19 King post chancel roof. 11 C16 poppyhead bench ends
Listing NGR: TG3233033151
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings