This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.843 / 52°50'34"N
Longitude: 1.4456 / 1°26'44"E
OS Eastings: 632137
OS Northings: 332839
OS Grid: TG321328
Mapcode National: GBR XGL.L9R
Mapcode Global: WHMSK.5SMV
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 6 April 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380207
English Heritage Legacy ID: 479890
Location: Bacton, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR28
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Bacton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Edingthorpe All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 33 SW ACTON RECTORY ROAD
The Old Rectory
House, formerly rectory. C. 1720, with rear (west) wing added 1791, front range to east added 1850. Whole and cut flints with brick dressings; red and black-glazed pantiled roofs.
EXTERIOR: 1850 range facing east of 2 storeys; 3-window range. Central 4-panelled door (6-panelled on interior side). Central first-floor sash with 6/6 glazing bars, otherwise all 8/8 unhorned sashes, all with gauged skewback arches and brick surrounds.
South return with French door to ground floor with coloured glass margin glazing; one 6/6 unhorned sash to first floor.
North return without openings. Stack on rear wall plane.
2-storey middle range with brick gable heads north and south indicating rebuilding. North gable end with one 6-panelled door to left of a 6/6 unhorned sash. One 8/8 unhorned sash to first floor.
South gable end without openings. Internal gable-end stacks north and south.
West face reduced due to the 1791 kitchen addition. Remainder with galleted flint and red brick dressings. One 8/8 unhorned sash to each floor of 1850, within 1850 brick surrounds. One 6/6 unhorned sash to left at staircase landing level under segmental arch.
Kitchen wing of 1791: 2 storeys; 2-window range. Red brick in Flemish bond, painted on north side. South side with one 2-light casement to ground floor and one 2-light metal casement to first floor. Internal gable-end stack to west.
North side with one 6-panelled door and 3 2-light metal casements.
INTERIOR: entrance door to east leads to wide hallway with a shallow 4-centred arch cut through the former exterior wall of the middle range. Centre of the middle range converted to staircase hall in 1850. 6-panelled doors throughout
South-east room with palmette frieze to cornice. Marble chimneypiece with shelf on consoles. Panelled shutters to windows. North-east room with identical interior appointments except the chimneypiece is of black marble.
Closed-string staircase with stick balusters and turned newels and ramped handrail.
South-west room with panelled shutters to window, and a timber reeded fire surround. North-west area is services, with C20 partitions.
Kitchen with pamment floor, wide timber surround to former range, with a winder staircase to its left. East wall with original 1791 shelf and cupboard unit.
Scullery to west with a hand pump from a well.
Plainly-appointed first-floor rooms with boarded fireplaces. Window shutters. Rear staircase continues to attic over kitchen, opening through 2-panelled doors.
Listing NGR: TG3213732839
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings