History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael and All Angels

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dalston, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8423 / 54°50'32"N

Longitude: -2.9834 / 2°59'0"W

OS Eastings: 336944

OS Northings: 550162

OS Grid: NY369501

Mapcode National: GBR 7DLF.XZ

Mapcode Global: WH808.4KL5

Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels

Listing Date: 19 September 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1374153

English Heritage Legacy ID: 78336

Location: Dalston, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA5

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: Dalston

Built-Up Area: Dalston

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Dalston St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Dalston

Listing Text

NY 35 SE DALSTON THE SQUARE
(North side) Dalston

8/149 Church of St Michael
and all Angels

II*

Church. C12 and C13, partly rebuilt in 1749; 1890 restoration by C.J.
Ferguson. Red sandstone rubble; graduated greenslate roof with coped gables.
4-bay aisled nave, the lower part of which is C13, with double open bellcote and
north porch; north and south transepts. 3-bay C13 chancel with 1890 north
vestry. Nave; blocked medieval south door now forms recess under 1890
rededication inscription. Blocked C18 entrance in west wall. C19 porch
incorporates, inside, an C18 font, 2 medieval graveslabs, a carved Transitional
style capital and a C17 inscription stone partly covered by 1914-18 war
memorial. C19 2-light windows with geometrical tracery. North transept has C19
circular window with geometrical tracery. Chancel: priest's door in pointed
arch under pedimented hood. Original lancet windows and small pointed leper
window. 3-light east window. Interior of nave: open timber ceiling of 1890,
supported on timber columns. Continuous low stone seat along south wall is
thought to be medieval. Walls panelled in 1890 with wood from the C18 box
pews. South transept stained glass by Clayton and Bell, 1909. North transept
organ screen by C.J. Ferguson. C19 font by R.H. Billings with carved oak cover
by Sir Robert Lorimer. Chancel: rounded rere-arches to medieval windows.
White marble wall plaque to Reverend Walter Fletcher 1846 by Musgrave Lewthwaite
Watson.


Listing NGR: NY3694450162


This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 21 August 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.