This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8421 / 54°50'31"N
Longitude: -2.9838 / 2°59'1"W
OS Eastings: 336919
OS Northings: 550144
OS Grid: NY369501
Mapcode National: GBR 7DLG.T0
Mapcode Global: WH808.4KF9
Entry Name: Dalston War Memorial
Listing Date: 7 August 2018
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1458513
Location: Dalston, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA5
Civil Parish: Dalston
Built-Up Area: Dalston
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
First World War memorial, 1920, with Second World War additions.
First World War memorial, 1920.
DESCRIPTION: Dalston War Memorial is located in the churchyard of St Michael’s Church, adjacent to the lychgate, on the corner of Carlisle Road (B5299) and Church Lane, Dalston, Cumbria. It is prominently situated at the churchyard entrance, on the corner of a road junction facing the village. It comprises a c.3.5m wheel-head granite cross on a square plinth with tapering cap. The cross head, wheel and shaft are elaborately incised with strap work designs, below which on the remainder of the shaft is the First World War inscription, carved in relief. The reverse of the cross head is also decorative. The reverse of the shaft bears the Second World War inscriptions in leaded lettering.
The inscription reads: IN PROUD MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF THE/ PARISH OF DALSTON/ WHO FELL IN/ THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ (NAMES)// LEST WE FORGET// 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES)/ MAY THEY/ REST IN/ PEACE.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Dalston as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
Dalston War Memorial was situated within the churchyard. It was designed by architect, Mr J W Benwell of Carlisle, and built by Messrs Beattie and Co (Masons) and W Wilson (Builder), at a cost of about £220. The memorial was unveiled on 31 October 1920 by Colonel Inglis of Green Lane, Dalston, and dedicated by the Vicar, Canon Wilson. The memorial commemorates 30 local servicemen who fell in the First World War and 12 men who fell in the Second World War.
The memorial scheme also included a Victory Hall, which opened in 1923.
Dalston War Memorial, which is situated in the churchyard of St Michael’s Church, adjacent to the lychgate, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.
* as an elaborate and well-executed granite Celtic cross.
* with the listed Church of St Michael (Grade II*), the Church House, Church Farmhouse, Old Vicarage, and numerous listed buildings around The Square (all Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings