This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9493 / 52°56'57"N
Longitude: -2.1586 / 2°9'30"W
OS Eastings: 389442
OS Northings: 339114
OS Grid: SJ894391
Mapcode National: GBR 154.12Q
Mapcode Global: WHBD6.T49B
Plus Code: 9C4VWRXR+PH
Entry Name: Barlaston Hall
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1374172
English Heritage Legacy ID: 272106
Location: Barlaston, Stafford, Staffordshire, ST12
Civil Parish: Barlaston
Built-Up Area: Barlaston
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Barlaston St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
953/5/2 QUEEN MARYS DRIVE
10-JAN-53 BARLASTON HALL
Country house. 1756-58. Attributed to Sir Robert Taylor. Restored c1990. Brick with stone dressings and rusticated stone basement; 3 storeys and basement. Windows are glazing bar sashes throughout with octagonal glazing.
Entrance facade has five window front, the centre 3 bays breaking forward and surmounted by a pediment, and in the return sides of the projection are large round headed niches; outer windows in moulded stone dog-eared architraves, with pulvinated frieze, pediment and baluster panel below; sashes and casement windows with unusual octagonal glazing; single doorway with Tuscan columns, triglyph frieze, and pediment, all in Gibbs surrounds.
The garden elevation has a large convex bay tiered over 3 storeys and on the north and south elevations are two-storeyed canted bays with balustraded parapets and the south elevation also has large Venetian windows to 2nd storey. Moulded stone eaves cornice; ball-head finials to pediment; plastered stacks; slates.
INTERIOR has Doric entrance hall with dentilated cornice, central entrance doorway with pilastered and pedimented surround, plain stone fire surround and 6 doors all with shouldered surrounds and doors each with 6 octagonal panels. Above each door a projecting panel and above again a recessed circular panel.
Dining room to right has rich dentilated plaster cornice and Rococo plaster frames to either end wall that to the east containing a painting of Thomas Mills and his family attributed to Henry Pickering. Fire surround was destroyed but Rococo overmantel largely intact with flanking panels containing plaster festoons. Curved bay window also has Rococo plaster decoration and pedimented doorways. Saloon has deep cornice with elaborate plaster frieze, late nineteenth century fireplace and fragmentary roundel above. Library has dado rail and picture rail, plain moulded cornice and round headed book recesses on three walls. Original fireplace in arched recess with plaster festoons flanked by bookcases and doors surmounted by projecting square panels and topped by roundels. Central staircase hall has rebuilt wooden stair with Chinese Chippendale baluster, three round arches on upper floor open on three sides to form landing, above moulded plaster ceiling with two brackets from each face rising to circular skylight.
Upper floors rebuilt in eighteenth century style. Barlaston Hall was restored after it was allowed to fall into serious disrepair.
Listing NGR: SJ8944239114
Other nearby listed buildings