History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Red House Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hoxne, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.33 / 52°19'48"N

Longitude: 1.1884 / 1°11'18"E

OS Eastings: 617347

OS Northings: 275002

OS Grid: TM173750

Mapcode National: GBR VKS.TJ5

Mapcode Global: VHL9G.KP3N

Entry Name: Red House Farmhouse

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1374915

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281068

Location: Hoxne, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Hoxne

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Hoxne St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TM 17 NE & TM 17 SE
2/127 & 4/127 Red House Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Early C16 3-cell house with one-bay early-mid C17 addition at
service end, forming a single long range. Timber framed; the main front to
the north and the east gable end have fine exposed studding with herringbone
brick nogging. These sides have a jettied first floor supported on plain
brackets springing from carved buttress-shafts; plain heavy corner post;
moulded bressummer. C17 addition has a red brick parapet gable end, and on
the north side brick nogging to match the remainder (but no jetty). South
facade is plastered, lined in imitation of ashlar. Roof of C20 plaintiles. 2
storeys and attic. South (entrance) front has 4 windows, mid C20 casements.
Central gabled porch of early C17 date with turned balusters to side openings;
within the porch is a mid C20 battened door. A second door to the right. 2
internal stacks with sawtooth shafts, one with a moulded base containing an
inset panel. North front has blocked cross-entry doorway with moulded
surround; evidence for many original windows, some blocked, one to the parlour
with a deep sill. A lean-to addition re-uses some carved C16 timbers. The
original range is in 5 bays. 2-bay hall, the ceiling with good moulded cross-
beams and simply-moulded joists. The cross-entry was in the upper bay, a most
unusual arrangement, with a one-bay parlour beyond. All timbers in the
parlour are concealed except for a simply-moulded axial bridging beam. Beyond
the lower end of the hall was a smoke bay; this heating arrangement was
replaced after a relatively short time by the present stack between the hall
and parlour. The service cell was divided axially, one room being further
divided by a cross-partition. The side walls at this end had continuous
mullioned windows. On the north side there are moulded mullions and a blocked
4-centre arched doorway, suggesting that this room may have been a second
parlour. The stack at the service end is a C17 insertion. Much of the first
floor framing is concealed. The original range has a queen-post roof, with
one-way bracing to the arcade plates. Only the open truss over the hall
chamber has collar braces. One truss has tension braces from the tie beam to
each queen-post. At the parlour end there is an early C17 side purlin roof,
dating from when the attic here was made. 2 newel stairs to attics. One good
C16 door with a fully-moulded face.

Listing NGR: TM1734775002

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.