This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0828 / 52°4'58"N
Longitude: 0.4381 / 0°26'16"E
OS Eastings: 567153
OS Northings: 245520
OS Grid: TL671455
Mapcode National: GBR NCX.9LM
Mapcode Global: VHJH9.JXY6
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 26 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1375520
English Heritage Legacy ID: 466418
Location: Haverhill, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, CB9
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Haverhill
Built-Up Area: Haverhill
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Haverhill St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL6745 HIGH STREET
816-1/5/19 (South West side)
26/06/52 Church of St Mary
Church. West tower C14 with Perpendicular upper stages,
remainder with some C13 evidence, rebuilt C15, restored after
fire of 1667. Major restoration 1867 by Elmslie & Franey:
rebuilt nave arcades, refurbished roofs, reseated and opened
up C15 south chapel arcades. Further restoration 1908-9 by HB
Thake extending north aisle to east end and adding two
vestries. Flint with conglomerate and ashlar dressings. Plain
EXTERIOR: 3-stage tower with C19 mouchette west window:
diagonal buttresses to west, side buttresses to east. Ringing
chamber with slit windows; 2-light transomed belfry openings;
crenellated parapet. Polygonal stair turret to south-east
entered through external door above which is inscription:
'Turret rebuilt MDCCCLI'. North doorway of 1867: square hood
with quatrefoils and dragons in spandrels. Four 3-light
Perpendicular north aisle windows and plain aisle parapet.
Rood stair turret developed into polygonal turret in C19. Four
4-light south aisle windows and one 4-light west aisle window.
C15 south porch, restored, with stepped diagonal buttresses
with pinnacles: 4-centred outer arch and 4-centred inner
doorway with minimal shields in spandrels: 2-light windows to
east and west.
South chapel lit through two 3-light Perpendicular windows.
Priests' door blocked with brick in C20. North and south
clerestories with five 2-light Perpendicular windows. 5-light
Perpendicular chancel east window of C19 origins. North
vestries with Tudor details.
INTERIOR: 5-bay nave arcades of quatrefoil piers on tall
polygonal bases: polygonal capitals support double-chamfered
arches. Two west bays of nave screened-off in late C20. Early
C14 tower arch consisting of quatrefoil responds and
double-chamfered arch. Polygonal responds to chancel arch
under hollow and chamfered arch: north pier pierced by cusped
and subcusped doorway. 2-bay chancel arcade, that to north of
1908: quatrefoil piers and wave-moulded arches. Nave and aisle
roofs are panelled, chancel roofed by boarded 4-centred vault.
East end of north aisle: font with early C16 octagonal bowl
decorated with cusped foliate circles alternating with
Perpendicular tracery patterns on C19 stem.
North chancel wall: monument to John Ward, died 1602: bulbous
strapwork obelisk frames 2 inscription tablets above a pendant
apron. Both tablets with copious inscriptions.
(Brown C: Dictionary of Architects of Suffolk Buildings
1800-1914: Ipswich: 1991-: 102; Pevsner N: BOE: Suffolk, 2nd
Edition: Harmondsworth: 1974-: 252).
Listing NGR: TL6715345520
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings