This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.985 / 53°59'5"N
Longitude: -0.4495 / 0°26'58"W
OS Eastings: 501767
OS Northings: 455437
OS Grid: TA017554
Mapcode National: GBR TQ9C.H7
Mapcode Global: WHGDK.237C
Entry Name: Sunderlandwick House
Listing Date: 15 July 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1375668
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469644
Location: Hutton Cranswick, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO25
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Hutton Cranswick
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hutton Cranswick St Peter
Church of England Diocese: York
TA 05 NW HUTTON CRANSWICK
1470/13/10004 Sunderlandwick House
House. 1962-3 by Francis Johnson for Sir Thomas Ferens. Pale yellow brick walls on stone base with stone and timber cornice and details, and slate roof. Two-storey L-shaped plan with linked pavilions.
Late Georgian style. Entrance formed in angle of two wings, with projecting bow on Roman Doric stone columns and inset curved double doors with lion's head bronze handles. Carved stone arms between upper and lower staircase windows to left of entrance. South-west front has five bays with antae at ends. Central three-bay eliptical bow with parapet and curved sash windows. Flanking bays have tripartite ground-floor windows with shallow arched heads. Stone panels beneath ground floor windows. Single-storey pedimented pavilion to the left, with stone steps, two Roman Doric stone columns and brick terminal piers, curved recess within with central arch-headed niche and concealed garden door. South-east elevation seven bays, the centre emphasised by arched recess and subsequently altered by Johnson to form garden door with curved stone steps. To the right a screen wall with brick niche links two-storey staff wing with single gabled bay to garden and three bays to the side. Tall brick chimney in centre.
Interior. Hall with three shallow groin-vaulted bays extending to shallow barrel vaults, niche facing front door. Study with stone chimneypiece by Francis Johnson with carved heraldic ornamental details. Pedimented doorcase to drawing room with carved compartmented plaster frieze, incorporating C18 mahogany door. Drawing room has elaborate compartmented plaster ceiling. Dining room has arched sideboard recess. Staircase follows curved stairwell with underside infilled. Hardwood treads and risers with ornamental iron balustrade (made by Wilfrid Dowson of Kirkbymoorside). Inner landing has a Soanic vault.
Built on the site of earlier Georgian house, altered in 1840s and burnt on VJ Day, 1945. The new house was designed to respect the surviving stables alongside (q.v), but to 'hold its own' when seen from the park. The result is a skillful and imaginative recreation of a late Georgian house to a reduced plan, carefully detailed by the architect and built to exemplary standards of craftsmanship.
SOURCE: (Country Life: John Cornforth: 'The Country Houses of Francis Johnson', 11 October 1984: 1008-1 , Country Life: John Cornforth: 'The Country Houses of Francis Johnson', 18 October 1984: 100-03; Country Life: John Cornforth: 'The Country Houses of Francis Johnson', 25 October 84: 1186-89; John Martin Robinson: The Latest Country House: London: 1984-: 106-08, 22 .
Listing NGR: TA0176755437
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.