History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chester College Old Building and Wall, North East and South East

A Grade II Listed Building in Chester, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.199 / 53°11'56"N

Longitude: -2.8968 / 2°53'48"W

OS Eastings: 340188

OS Northings: 367251

OS Grid: SJ401672

Mapcode National: GBR 79.2JTP

Mapcode Global: WH887.GVSG

Entry Name: Chester College Old Building and Wall, North East and South East

Listing Date: 10 January 1972

Last Amended: 23 July 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1375742

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469721

Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Electoral Ward/Division: Garden Quarter

Built-Up Area: Chester

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Chester St Oswald and St Thomas of Canterbury

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Chester

Listing Text


CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ46NW CHEYNEY ROAD
1932-1/2/44 (North side)
10/01/72 Chester College Old Building and
wall, north-east and south-east
(Formerly Listed as:
PARKGATE ROAD
Chester College main building)

II

College of Higher Education. Founded in 1839, the earliest
Church of England Diocesan College for training
schoolteachers; 1841-2 by JC and G Buckler. Stone-dressed
brown brick with grey slate roofs. Tudor Revival style.
EXTERIOR: basement and 3 storeys; the original entrance front
to Parkgate Road is E-shaped, with lower wing, formerly the
College's school, right. Basement has replaced casements under
gauged-brick flat arches. The narrow central entrance bay
projects. Stone-dressed forecourt wall returns as parapets to
15 stone steps to studded door of 3-full-height panels in
ornate sandstone, weathered case. A 3-light mullioned and
transomed casement in bay to each side of entrance; each end
bay has a 5-light casement; shorter windows in similar order
to each upper storey are altered. Stone-coped gables to
central bay and end-bays. To right a recessed link-bay to
former schoolroom which has gable-end to front; a full
mullioned and transomed window with four rows of 4 lights;
stone-coped gable with kneelers and finial; louvred bellcote
under belled pyramidal roof on ridge. Both sides of the rear
part of the Old Building are freely composed, with Tudor
detail. The right side is built against; the left side adjoins
the Chapel (qv) and has a mid C20 two-storey porch, now the
entrance, facing Cheyney Road.
The rear, or garden, face is expressed similarly to the front,
and altered to a similar degree. The 3-gabled bays do not
project; hence the composition is less vertical in
composition, and more reposed.
INTERIOR: one or two ground floor rooms facing Parkgate Road
retain original character, but elsewhere most are altered.
The stone-coped wall to the Parkgate forecourt to the Old
Building is continued in coursed sandstone to the corner of
Cheyney Road and south-west along Cheyney Road. Birdsmouthed
stone coping; 2 pairs of square gateposts to Cheyney Road with
birdsmouthed pyramidal caps.


Listing NGR: SJ4018867251

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.