This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1984 / 53°11'54"N
Longitude: -2.8964 / 2°53'46"W
OS Eastings: 340215
OS Northings: 367185
OS Grid: SJ402671
Mapcode National: GBR 79.2JY6
Mapcode Global: WH887.HV0Y
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas of Canterbury
Listing Date: 10 January 1972
Last Amended: 23 July 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1375898
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469877
Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Electoral Ward/Division: Garden Quarter
Built-Up Area: Chester
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Chester St Oswald and St Thomas of Canterbury
Church of England Diocese: Chester
CHESTER CITY (EM)
SJ46NW PARKGATE ROAD
1932-1/2/220 (South West side)
10/01/72 Church of St Thomas of Canterbury
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Oswald (St Thomas))
Parish church. 1869-72. By Sir George G Scott, the nave
completed later by JO Scott. Tooled squared snecked red
sandstone with roofs of graded grey-green slates, in early C13
PLAN: nave and south and north aisles of 5 bays under separate
roofs; 2-bay chancel with north chapel; south-east tower with
2 of the intended 3 stages.
EXTERIOR: tall plinth; angle and bay buttresses; shafted
lancets with block capitals; corbel-table.
West front has 7 stone steps to oak double doors on ornate
hinges; 2 blank arches to each side; 2 lancets above door,
with central and flanking blank arches; circular window with
Star of David tracery in gable. The gable to each aisle has a
pair of lancets with a sexfoil-lobed round window above; a
cross-in-circle finial to each gable. The south aisle has a
pair of lancets to each bay. The tower has square turret at
south-west corner capped with diagonally-set timber-framed
shelter with belled pyramidal roof of copper. Priest's door; a
pair of lancets; paired-lancet bell-openings; simple parapet.
Ornate rainwater-head and pipe in corner of tower with
chancel; a south lancet to chancel. East window of 3 separated
lancets; quatrefoil gable window; 2 lancets and an
almond-shaped gable window to north chapel; the north side has
a lancet and a priest's door in the east bay, a pair of
lancets in the west bay. The 3 east bays of the north aisle
have paired lancets. The north porch has a pair of lancets in
each side; 5 stone steps to archway with pair of simple iron
gates with dogbars; pair of oak doors on wrought strap hinges
in archway with foliar capitals to responds.
INTERIOR: tiled floor to nave; piers of quatrefoil section
have stiff-leaf capitals; arched trusses to nave and aisles.
Chancel-arch on corbelled responds; encaustic tile floor;
arched trusses. West window 1885 by Kempe; rectangular font on
4 colonnettes; pedestal pulpit with polished colonnettes;
carved choir-stalls; reredos 1909 by CE Deacon with statues of
Saints Michael, Gabriel, Raphael and Uriel standing above;
reredos 1913 by CE Deacon in the NE chapel. No clerestory.
Listing NGR: SJ4021567185
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings