This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1901 / 53°11'24"N
Longitude: -2.8625 / 2°51'44"W
OS Eastings: 342469
OS Northings: 366242
OS Grid: SJ424662
Mapcode National: GBR 7C.315M
Mapcode Global: WH88G.026P
Plus Code: 9C5V54RQ+32
Entry Name: Boughton Hall
Listing Date: 10 January 1972
Last Amended: 23 July 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1375793
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469772
Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH3
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Electoral Ward/Division: Boughton
Built-Up Area: Chester
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Chester St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Chester
CHESTER CITY (EM)
SJ46NW FILKINS LANE
1932-1/2/37 (East side)
10/01/72 Boughton Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
Country house, later children's home, now Barnado's offices.
C17 extended late C18 to early C19, extended late C19 with
some later C20 alterations. Old brown brick, stone-dressed in
part, and yellow brick; grey slate roofs. An E-shaped house,
the recess left of porch built up c1800.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; C19 three-storey yellow brick wing, left.
The C17 and Georgian house has 3 semicircular stone steps to
porch with flush red sandstone quoins; the left wing has three
16-pane sashes to each floor, the left two to ground floor
flush; recessed bay right of porch has a flush 16-pane sash
under relieving arch; sash, now 4-pane, under segmental arch
in right wing; flush stone first floor band to porch bay and
recessed bay; 12-pane sash under cambered head above doorway;
16-pane flush sash in recessed bay; 12-pane sash under gauged
brick arch in right wing. Entrance has basket-arched opening
with armorial stone above, replaced part-glazed door in
round-arched opening in substantial C17 oak case; studded
broad-board inner door of oak.
The right end has a C20 outshut to ground floor, with stone
plinth and a 16-pane recessed sash under gauged brick arch in
old part behind; two recessed 12-pane sashes to first floor.
The rear has two 16-pane sashes and an inserted door to ground
floor then alterations and extension; two 12-pane sashes and a
16-pane sash to first floor.
The late C19 left wing projects forward; a stone-corbelled
oriel in east side; a circular stair-turret further back,
right. INTERIOR: a late C16-C17 fireplace with tiled cheeks
depicting biblical scenes; doors of 6 margined panels;
L-shaped right front room has a segmental Georgian arch to
each arm of the L; Georgian fireplace with Ionic pillars.
Stair right of hall, probably oak, of one flight with winders
through 90 degrees at top has open string, shaped brackets,
covered steps, curtail, rose, 2 turned balusters per step and
swept rail. A Georgian fireplace and overmantel left of hall;
an open-well open-string oak stair left of hall, probably
inserted or partly replaced C19. Inner side of front door has
Listing NGR: SJ4246966242
Other nearby listed buildings