This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1884 / 53°11'18"N
Longitude: -2.8852 / 2°53'6"W
OS Eastings: 340950
OS Northings: 366064
OS Grid: SJ409660
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.31PM
Mapcode Global: WH88F.N491
Entry Name: The Hermitage
Listing Date: 28 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1375947
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469926
Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Electoral Ward/Division: Chester City
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Chester
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Chester St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chester
CHESTER CITY (EM)
SJ4066 THE GROVES
1932-1/6/149 (North side)
28/07/55 The Hermitage
Probably anchorite's cell to which a friar was formally
inducted, now a cottage. 1363. Eroded vertical-sided bedrock
plinth up to 2.5m high; coursed partly snecked sandstone; grey
The entrance front north was porch of former St Martin's
Church (not included), re-erected here 1897-8 by TRP Royle on
a segmental-arched bridge from adjacent higher ground: the
arch has colonnette-jambs; trefoils in spandrels; triple
lancets in right side; 2-light mullioned casement right of
porch; projecting stone chimney right; the first floor has a
lancet right, a triple lancet in an inserted or renewed ashlar
panel above porch; voussoirs of a blocked arch partly behind
chimney. The east end has a replaced window in
segmental-arched opening to ground floor; a mullioned 3-light
arched window with intersecting tracery to first floor; coped
gable. The west end has a small high-level segmental-arched
window to ground floor; buttress at south-west corner; coped
gable with gabled finial. The rear, south, has some
rectangular recesses in the plinth, a central lancet to stair
and 2 lancets to first floor. All glazing is replaced. The
cottage was refurbished c1970, probably by James Brotherhood.
INTERIOR not inspected.
Building vacant at time of survey (June 1992).
(Cheshire SMR: Collens J: Chester City: 1988-: 3008/1/6;
Chester City Council and Committee: Improvement Committee
Minutes: 17.11.1897, 5.1.1898).
Listing NGR: SJ4095066064
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings