This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9177 / 52°55'3"N
Longitude: -2.1375 / 2°8'15"W
OS Eastings: 390848
OS Northings: 335592
OS Grid: SJ908355
Mapcode National: GBR 15K.0DH
Mapcode Global: WHBD7.4XDM
Entry Name: St Mary's Abbey
Listing Date: 20 August 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376139
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470129
Location: Stone Rural, Stafford, Staffordshire, ST15
Civil Parish: Stone Rural
Built-Up Area: Oulton
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Oulton St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 93 NW
St Mary's Abbey
House, now occupied by Benedictine abbey. Circa 1840 remodelling of circa earlier C19 house; extended in 1913. Red brick with stone dressings. Slate roofs with lead roll ridges, stone coped parapeted gable ends and parapets. Axial and lateral stacks with brick diagonally-set shafts.
PLAN: Long circa 1840 south front range with entrance to centre of 3-bay block on left [W] and 5-bay wing to right [E]. Extensive circa earlier C19 ranges at rear. Wing set back on right [E] added in 1913. Tudor style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. Long 5:4:1 bay south front. 5 bays to left with gabled outer bays with 2-storey canted bay windows and 2-storey porch at centre with moulded 4-centred arch doorway; narrow single-light windows between porch and gabled outer bays; 4-bay range set back on right with projecting gabled bay on right with 2-storey canted bay window. 3 storey red brick ranges and wings at rear, around a small courtyard, and attached lodges to NW flanking a carriageway arch which serves as the main entrance to the Abbey.
INTERIOR: Much of the circa 1840 interior remains intact, including panelled doors and architraves, moulded plaster ceiling cornices, chimneypieces and a staircase with brass balusters and moulded mahogany handrail.
NOTE: The Benedictine community was founded at Ghent in 1624. In 1794 they returned to England and eventually set up in Caverswall Castle. In 1853 the community moved to Oulton, into this house, where a monastic church [qv] was built in 1854 and the Presbytery [qv] added in 1892.
Listing NGR: SJ9084835592
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings