This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9954 / 51°59'43"N
Longitude: -1.4853 / 1°29'7"W
OS Eastings: 435434
OS Northings: 233117
OS Grid: SP354331
Mapcode National: GBR 6S2.WV9
Mapcode Global: VHBZ3.63MP
Plus Code: 9C3WXGW7+4V
Entry Name: Former National School and Old School House
Listing Date: 24 August 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376152
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470144
Location: Hook Norton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Hook Norton
Built-Up Area: Hook Norton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Hook Norton with Great Rollright and Swerford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 3533 HOOK NORTON HIGH STREET
262/10/10003 Former National School and
Old School House
School and schoolmaster's house. Dated 1855. Coursed stone rubble with freestone dressings. Slate roof with stone-coped gable ends; Old School House has tile roof. Stone lateral and axial stacks with weathered caps and set-offs.
PLAN: T-shaped on plan, the cross-wing on the right [E] projects and extends to the rear; porches on east side of cross-wing and on west end of main range, in the angle with the schoolmaster's house set back on the left [W].
Victorian Gothic style.
EXTERIOR: Single storey school. 3-bay south front; gable-ended cross-wing on right with tall 3-light stone window with cusped pointed arch lights in pointed arch recess; main range on left with two large 4-light mullion-transom windows with depressed 2-centred arch lights [similar window in left return of cross-wing], with lateral stack between with weathered set-offs and tablet inscribed:- Erected AD 1855 This site and five hundred pounds towards the building were contributed by Miss Davis daughter of ....Davis Esq of S.....'. The inscription is only partly legible. On the left end and on the right side of the cross-wing there are stone porches with chamfered depressed 2-centred arch doorways with ledged doors. Set back on the left is the schoolmaster's house [Old School House] with chamfered 2-light stone mullion windows with relieving arches, two first floor windows at eaves with small gables; central chamfered doorway with depressed 2-centred arch; 2-light stone window in left gable end and gable-ended wing at rear.
INTERIORS not inspected.
Listing NGR: SP3542933117
Other nearby listed buildings