This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9999 / 50°59'59"N
Longitude: -0.7867 / 0°47'12"W
OS Eastings: 485235
OS Northings: 122977
OS Grid: SU852229
Mapcode National: GBR DDT.CWN
Mapcode Global: FRA 967G.PBM
Plus Code: 9C2XX6X7+X8
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 26 August 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376159
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470153
Location: Stedham with Iping, Chichester, West Sussex, GU29
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Stedham with Iping
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Stedham with Iping
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
SU 82 SE STEDHAM WITH IPING IPING LANE
(West side), Iping
CHURCH OF ST MARY
Church. 1840 by Thomas Greenshields but heavily rebuilt by Loftus Brock in 1885 with south porch dated 1885 in gable. Most of the west tower is of the earlier period, and much of the wall fabric and lancet windows appears to be of the earlier building, the rest rebuilt. Gothic style. Built of Hythe sandstone with tiled roof. Comprises 4 bay nave with north and south aisles, south porch, lower chancel with vestry and west tower. Tower of three stages with offset buttresses. Top or bell stage has paired lancets with wooden louvres and machicolated parapet. First and second stages have lancets and arched doorcase. South aisle has one lancet with dripmould and two paired trefoil-headed windows with floriate corbel and buttress. Gabled south porch flanked by chamfered buttresses with steep triangular gables. North aisle has four lancets with dripmoulds. Lower chancel of one bay with lancet windows and triple lancet west window. Series of chamfered buttresses with steep triangular gables. Vestry of c1840 with one lancet window and later C19 buttress. Interior has nave with c1885 roof with two tiers of purlins and collar beam, pews and balustered wooden chancel railings. Norman style circular font. North aisle has fine wall tablet of c1772 to Peter Betesworth of three colours of marble with urns, paterae and lions feet. South aisle has wall tablet of c1780 to Lucy Piggott with urn on grey marble background. Wooden commemorative tablet in south porch refers to the building of the 1840 church. Source: Pevsner BOE Sussex p250.
Listing NGR: SU8523522977
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings