History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Oswalds Chambers

A Grade II Listed Building in Chester, Cheshire West and Chester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1914 / 53°11'29"N

Longitude: -2.8899 / 2°53'23"W

OS Eastings: 340637

OS Northings: 366405

OS Grid: SJ406664

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.2SM1

Mapcode Global: WH88F.L12Q

Entry Name: St Oswalds Chambers

Listing Date: 23 May 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376392

English Heritage Legacy ID: 470387

Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Electoral Ward/Division: Chester City

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Chester

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Find accommodation in
Hough Green

Listing Text


SJ4066SE
595-1/4/353
23/05/67

CHESTER CITY (IM)
ST WERBURGH STREET
(East side)


Nos.20 AND 22
St Oswalds Chambers

II

GV

Offices, now opticians. 1898. By John Douglas as architect and
probably developer. Squared snecked red sandstone rubble,
timber frame with plaster panels and red Ruabon brick; hipped
Westmorland green slate roof; the building is almost detached.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, double-fronted, asymmetric. The front has
a shaped 9-panel door now glazed in a basket archway with
colonnettes, 18;98 in spandrels and SAINT OSWALD CHAMBERS
above; a 4-light leaded ovolo-mullioned casement north and a
shop window south with leaded glazing in stallriser. The
timber-framed second storey has a 4-light mullioned and
transomed leaded casement, north, the upper lights with
patterned leading, under a carved lintel; a similar window of
3 lights above the doorway; a casement of 3;3;3 lights around
the south-west corner, above small-framing with cusped-arch
heads; dormer gables with richly carved bargeboards over the
north and central casements; a short octagonal spire over the
south-west window has a weathervane on the lead finial. The
north side has a 3-light mullioned and leaded casement and
three 4-light mullioned and transomed casements to the first
storey and a similar series, with leading removed, to the
second storey. The south side has a 2-light casement plus a
1-light casement at the canted south-east corner; the second
storey has a casement with leading removed. The rear wing, of
brick to the lower storey and framed above, has 2 casements to
each storey with some leaded glazing. 3 shaped brick chimneys.
INTERIOR: has some alterations and covered surfaces, but
retains features including doors.
(Hubbard E: The Work of John Douglas: London: 1991-: 192).


Listing NGR: SJ 40637 66405

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.