History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

16, White Friars

A Grade II Listed Building in Chester, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.1886 / 53°11'19"N

Longitude: -2.8926 / 2°53'33"W

OS Eastings: 340454

OS Northings: 366097

OS Grid: SJ404660

Mapcode National: GBR 79.35W0

Mapcode Global: WH88F.J3SV

Entry Name: 16, White Friars

Listing Date: 28 July 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376484

English Heritage Legacy ID: 470485

Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Electoral Ward/Division: Chester City

Built-Up Area: Chester

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Chester, St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Hough Green

Listing Text


595-1/3/441 (North side)
28/07/55 No.16


House, then Chester Rural District Council Offices, now a
municipal office. Late C18, altered internally and extended to
rear. Flemish bond brown brick; the hipped grey roof, behind
parapets, has 2 ridges parallel with the street.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 5 windows. Painted stone plinth; 2
renewed steps to door of 1;2;2;1 panels, the lower 3 fielded
and the upper 3 now glazed, and a 4-pane radial-bar fanlight
in a Roman Doric stone doorcase with 3-quarter columns, frieze
and pediment; 2 recessed 12-pane sashes to each side have
lower leaves altered; painted stone sills; the windows to all
storeys have gauged-brick flat arches. The second storey has a
sillband and 5 recessed 12-pane sashes; the third storey has a
sillband and 5 recessed 6-pane sashes; a lead rainwater pipe;
full cornice of painted stone.
The C18 rear is largely hidden by the C20 extension, but the
large stair-sash with radial-bar fan in round-arched head is
INTERIOR: a stone-flagged brick, barrel-vaulted, cellar is
probably all C18. The hall has skirting, replaced door in
round archway with fluted corner pilasters, architraves and
fanlight with glazing bars removed; plain frieze and modillion
cornice; the stair hall has round archway to rear with fluted
pilasters; the east and west front rooms have cornices; the
west rear room has a cornice, the east room a recessed 16-pane
sash largely concealed from without and a cornice; the former
kitchen in the rear wing has basket-arched recesses for range
and cupboards, now empty; the former back kitchen has a
quarry-tile floor. The open-well stair has open string with
shaped brackets, covered steps, square newels with
urn-finials, renewed stick balusters and swept oak rail with
wreath. The second storey landing has skirting and modillion
cornice, the front passage has skirting and cornice; the west
rooms were joined, with a new dado, to form the Rural District
Council Chamber; the rear passage has a cornice. The stair to
the third storey is like that below, but with probably
original reeded balusters; most doors are replaced but
architraves are retained. An internal boxed gutter runs from
the back to the front of the building.

Listing NGR: SJ4045466097

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.