This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5345 / 51°32'4"N
Longitude: -0.081 / 0°4'51"W
OS Eastings: 533196
OS Northings: 183476
OS Grid: TQ331834
Mapcode National: GBR T4.Y3
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.KP1J
Plus Code: 9C3XGWM9+QH
Entry Name: Church of St Anne with St Columba
Listing Date: 14 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376507
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470509
Location: Hoxton and Shoreditch, Hackney, London, N1
Electoral Ward/Division: Hoxton East & Shoreditch
Built-Up Area: Hackney
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Hoxton St Anne
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 33 83 HOXTON STREET
735/30/10073 Church of St Anne with
Parish church. 1868-70 by Francis Chambers, restored 1902 and 1915. Kentish ragstone and some brick: slate roofs.
Plan of nave, aisles, transepts, chancel and north-east tower. French Gothic style.
EXTERIOR: brick west front with stone gable in which is one wheel window with 6 encircled sexfoils. Nave aisles with 3 cross gables north and south, each with one 2-light Geometric window. West aisle gable on south side with arched moulded doorway with one order of engaged compound piers with seaweed capitals. Doorway between east gable and transept similar: 3 orders of shafts with stiff-leaf capitals and billet and ballflower motifs in arch. 6 trefoiled lancets to clerestory.
Transepts with 2 2-light Decorated windows and one wheel window in gable head with Decorated tracery. South transept with eastern aisle and 2 lancets at clerestory level. North transept with unfinished tower abutting to east: diagonal buttress. Apsed chancel consists of 5 gabled 2-light windows with Geometric tracery. Single-storey vestry rooms of 1902 clasp chancel north and south.
INTERIOR: 3-bay arcade on circular piers with polygonal capitals and double-chamfered arches. Nave roof of tie beams, king posts, collars, scissor braces and 5 tiers of purlins. Rood beam with Crucifixus figures. Transepts open under high double-chamfered arches on responds left uncarved. South side with glazed screen below organ chamber. Internal porch to south-east doorway of 1990 by Tom Hemsby. Moulded chancel arch. Choir gallery on north side of chancel with wrought-iron grille. Reredos consists of 5 gablets with dogtooth decoration on marble columns and stencilled background. On 2 of the gablets are statuettes of angels. Radial rafter chancel roof.
FURNISHINGS: most are imported from other churches. Stations of the Cross of painted plaster. Statue of St Columba, probably designed by James Brooks. Font cover of radial fin type by Sir Ninian Comper. Plain octagonal font with quatrefoils to bowl. Oak pulpit and tester by C.H.M. Milcham, the pulpit carved with crockets and 4 symbols of Evangelists. Triptych (north aisle) with painted Annunciation by R.H. Briggs.
Listing NGR: TQ3319683476
Other nearby listed buildings