History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sisters' House and School to North of Church of St Columba

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hackney, London

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5345 / 51°32'4"N

Longitude: -0.0776 / 0°4'39"W

OS Eastings: 533434

OS Northings: 183482

OS Grid: TQ334834

Mapcode National: GBR V4.Q3

Mapcode Global: VHGQT.LPVJ

Entry Name: Sisters' House and School to North of Church of St Columba

Listing Date: 4 February 1975

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1265691

English Heritage Legacy ID: 424253

Location: Hackney, London, N1

County: London

District: Hackney

Electoral Ward/Division: Hoxton East & Shoreditch

Built-Up Area: Hackney

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Hoxton St Anne

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Shoreditch

Listing Text

KINGS LAND ROAD E2
1.
5013
(West Side)
------------------
Sisters' House and School
to north of Church of St Columba
TQ 3383 30/300
II* GV

2.
By James Brooks. The Sisters' House, built in 1898, is a 2-storey and attic, 2-bay
building linking the School to St Columba's Vicarage. Red brick with stone bands
and dressings, high pitched roof of Welsh slate. Single large dormer has half-octagonal
front. 4 grouped windows with carved cusping in stone lintels. Pointed arched
door under hoodmould broken at left for narrow window. Staircase window above and
3 quatrefoils just below eaves.
School building of 1865, partly rebuilt after war damage. Similar material to
Sisters' House but simpler design. 2 storeys, 7 bays clearly expressed on ground
floor but in different rhythm of 2:3:3 above. Plain lancets with continuous hoodmould
broken only by slightly projecting chimney bay. The west window has an incised
stone tympanum. Ground floor paired lancets with fancy brickwork in tympana under
pointed relieving arches with continuous hoodmould.

The Church of St Columba, the Vicarage and link building, the forecourt railings and
the Sisters' House and School form a group.

Listing NGR: TQ3342083476

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.