History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Millbank Barracks North West Range (Former Married Quarters), Royal Army Medical Corps

A Grade II Listed Building in City of Westminster, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4905 / 51°29'25"N

Longitude: -0.1292 / 0°7'45"W

OS Eastings: 529977

OS Northings: 178501

OS Grid: TQ299785

Mapcode National: GBR HM.4V

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.QS1Q

Plus Code: 9C3XFVRC+68

Entry Name: Millbank Barracks North West Range (Former Married Quarters), Royal Army Medical Corps

Listing Date: 24 September 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376572

English Heritage Legacy ID: 470576

Location: Vincent Square, Westminster, London, SW1P

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: Vincent Square

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Stephen Rochester Row

Church of England Diocese: London

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Description


TQ 2978 NE JOHN ISLIP STREET

1900/105/10198 Millbank Barracks NW range,
(Former Married Quarters)
Royal Army Medical Corps

GV II


Married quarters. c1898, by the Royal Engineers for the Royal Army Medical Corps. Red brick with Portland stone quoins and dressings; gabled slate roof with banded brick stacks. Rectangular plan. Principal SE elevation of 4 storeys with pedimented 2-window outer and 3-window central blocks, all with rusticated ground floors and linked across 5-window inner ranges by dentilled cornice. Upper floors have 6/6-pane sashes, pedimented and in Gibbs surrounds to first floor. The central block is flanked by large octagonal stair towers, of an unusual design and topped by cupolas with dentilled cornices and crown finials. Ground floor has sashes with radial heads, those to ground floor set behind rusticated stone arcade which bears full-height balconies providing access to apartments which are carried on Doric and then Ionic columns, the upper floor having plain iron balustrade. Similar rustication and window treatment in 3-window pedimented returns.
Interior: not inspected.
HISTORY: The married quarters and barrack blocks serve to enclose the north-facing parade ground or square. Drawings for the married quarters (qv) were signed by CM Watson, the Inspector General of Fortifications, in 1898: it is probable, although not proven, that both barracks blocks were built to provide accommodation linked also to the Queen Alexandra Military Hospital (opened 1905), which was built on the north part of the huge Millbank Penitentiary Site. These are clearly related to barracks architecture in their planning but more elaborate both in their articulation and architectural quality than any other contemporary designs with the exception of the remarkable Peninsula Barracks in Winchester.


Listing NGR: TQ2997778501

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.