This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4981 / 51°29'53"N
Longitude: -0.0802 / 0°4'48"W
OS Eastings: 533360
OS Northings: 179427
OS Grid: TQ333794
Mapcode National: GBR VK.45
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.KLGY
Entry Name: Drinking Fountain, Approximately 45 Metres South South East of Church of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376575
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470579
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Chaucer
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Bermondsey St Mary Magdalen, St Olave, St John and St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3379 BERMONDSEY STREET
636-1/5/47 (East side)
Drinking fountain, approx 45m south
south-east of Church of St Mary
Canopied drinking fountain. Dated 1902. Given by Col. SB
Bevington, first Mayor of Bermondsey, in memory of his father.
Limestone and pink and grey granite. Robust Gothic Revival
manner. Gabled cruciform canopy carried on squat pink granite
colonnettes. Grey granite plinth and water bowl, limestone
middle section and canopy.
Standing at the head of the path entering the churchyard from
the corner of Abbey Street and Tower Bridge Road. Like the
Dedication Stele to the west (qv), this structure is a
conspicuous reminder of the churchyard's conversion into a
public park under vestry and later municipal control.
Listing NGR: TQ3336079427
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings