This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4798 / 51°28'47"N
Longitude: -0.0662 / 0°3'58"W
OS Eastings: 534384
OS Northings: 177425
OS Grid: TQ343774
Mapcode National: GBR YR.8P
Mapcode Global: VHGR6.S2WD
Entry Name: Church of Our Lady of Seven Dolours
Listing Date: 27 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376588
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470593
Location: Southwark, London, SE15
Electoral Ward/Division: Livesey
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Camberwell Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3477SW BIRD IN BUSH ROAD
636-1/39/63 (North side)
27/09/72 Church of Our Lady of Seven Dolours
Roman Catholic (Franciscan) church. 1864-66. Edward Welby Pugin.
MATERIALS: stock brick with black brick and stone banding and
other dressings; pitched slate roof above brick eaves cornice.
EXTERIOR: tall nave and buttressed aisles. South west
hipped-roofed entrance extension with mosaic in tympanum,
possibly later build. North aisle has 1-storey extension
eastwards with row of lancets. Small gabled extensions with
rose windows to roof, at point where crossing might be. Gabled
east end has large rose window above row of narrow lancets
flanked by twin buttresses. Side aisles have smaller rose
windows in similar style at east ends and narrow lancet aisle
windows with continuous stone band at spring. Quatrefoil
chancel clerestory windows.
Friary in similar style attached to north.
INTERIOR: plain, whitewashed; 5-bay nave arcade of narrow
pointed arches. Chancel panelled in various coloured marbles.
Arch braced panelled ceiling.
Listing NGR: TQ3438477425
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings