This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5468 / 53°32'48"N
Longitude: -2.1387 / 2°8'19"W
OS Eastings: 390906
OS Northings: 405587
OS Grid: SD909055
Mapcode National: GBR FWHF.S8
Mapcode Global: WHB9B.33VR
Plus Code: 9C5VGVW6+PG
Entry Name: Church of St Mark
Listing Date: 25 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376598
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470603
Location: Oldham, OL9
Electoral Ward/Division: Chadderton North
Built-Up Area: Chadderton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Chadderton St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 90 NW CHADDERTON MILNE STREET
1477/4/10002 Church of St Mark
Church. 1960-63. G.G. Pace. Blue engineering brick; graduated slate to pitched roofs - low pitched to church and entrance and steeply pitched to tower. Concrete dressings around windows. Five sided aisled space, three walls being orthoganal and the liturgical north side being canted outwards to provide room for the choir. Entrance with narthex to west and west also is a small rectangular chapel. Corner site, the corner itself dominated by a low rectangular brick tower with a high gabled roof. Four bay nave, the bays separated by buttresses and with rectangular windows set in varying groups high in the wall. West wall of nave is visible, and secondary glazing has been sensitively installed over the west window between the western buttresses. Thick exposed board-marked concrete beam at eaves. On return elevation, tower is flush with small chapel, with irregular groups of rectangular windows to both. Rectangular leaded lights. Recessed entrance with two doors of timber and leaded-glazing in vertical strips. Liturgical north and south faces of the tower each has a stack of 14 small pointed louvres. Jutting gutter spouts in exposed board-marked concrete.
Internally the bays are divided by three pairs of varnished laminated timber `y' shaped supports and trusses, supporting timber trussed purlins (with prominent bolts) and timber rafters. Walls are white-painted brick with exposed board-marked concrete bands, which act as bonding strips between brick piers and as lintels for windows. Original `chunky' altar of limed timber with four pairs of legs, is in original position, set forward from the east wall. Sanctuary raised by two steps. Limed timber pulpit, also `chunky' and so is altar rail with thick black metal supports and thick limed timber handrail. Priest's chair to match, against east wall. Black metal crucifix also in characteristic Pace manner. Stone sedilia built into the north and south walls of the sanctuary. East window with stained glass which comprises broken and reset fragments of nineteenth-century glass. Font sited in central aisle towards the west end; this is of tooled cream stone, the bowl comprising a monolithic cylinder, flanked by a smaller cylinder which rises higher and has a prominent spout. Elaborate font cover in roughly textured cast aluminium, rising to flame-like pinnacles. Reused nineteenth-century benches, painted semi-matt black. Narthex and west chapel with limed timber doors, which have decorative nail-heads in rows. West chapel has open truss timber roof, painted white. Sanctuary light and cross are characteristic of Pace's style.
A fine example of Pace's idiosyncratic manner, this church shows the influence of the Liturgical Movement, especially in the forward placement of the altar.
Listing NGR: SD9090605587
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings