This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5351 / 53°32'6"N
Longitude: -2.1452 / 2°8'42"W
OS Eastings: 390475
OS Northings: 404280
OS Grid: SD904042
Mapcode National: GBR FWGK.CH
Mapcode Global: WHB9B.0DSS
Entry Name: Nile Mill
Listing Date: 4 November 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376627
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470633
Location: Oldham, OL9
Electoral Ward/Division: Chadderton Central
Built-Up Area: Chadderton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Chadderton Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 90 SW, 780-0/7/10008
FIELDS NEW ROAD
Cotton spinning mill, steam powered. Built as a ring spinning mill in 1898 by P S Stott for the Nile Spinning and Doubling Co. Ltd. Top storey added 1905, the card room extended 1907. Cast-iron and steel-framed with brick-arched ceilings. Brick cladding with flat, probably concrete roof.
PLAN: double mill, with central engine house, partially projecting to rear, and balanced to front by projecting tower.
EXTERIOR: Four storeys, with carding areas to ground floor, spinning floors above. Each half has nine bays divided by pilasters and each containing three very wide windows. Yellow brick bands as lintels. Decorative corbelling to upper storey. Angle pilasters with corbelled panels to stair towers at each corner. Stone parapet. Card room extensions, single-storeyed in right-hand section, 2-storeyed to left, similarly divided and detailed.
Some alterations to central tower, which possibly housed taking-in doors, but which was altered, probably on conversion to electrical power. Loading doors with hoist to right of 13-bay return elevation.
Engine house partially within the body of the mill, and partially projecting from centre of rear elevation, with two round-arched windows, and lower upper windows. Stack with white brick lettering beyond engine house, linked by single-storey boiler house. Sprinkler tower above engine house, projecting by one storey above the roof line.
Detached office block to south of the site, single-storeyed, brick with painted stone dressings.
The mill is of interest both as a good example of a double mill, and also as a relatively early example of a purpose-built ring spinning mill, the largest in the world at
the time of its construction.
Listing NGR: SD9047504280
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.