History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Harvey Grammar School

A Grade II Listed Building in Folkestone, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0822 / 51°4'55"N

Longitude: 1.1787 / 1°10'43"E

OS Eastings: 622733

OS Northings: 136237

OS Grid: TR227362

Mapcode National: GBR W21.4TP

Mapcode Global: FRA F6C8.71G

Entry Name: Old Harvey Grammar School

Listing Date: 20 January 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376803

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469021

Location: Folkestone, Shepway, Kent, CT20

County: Kent

District: Shepway

Civil Parish: Folkestone

Built-Up Area: Folkestone

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Folkestone

Listing Text

TR 2236 SE FOLKESTONE FOORD POAD

737/4/10006 Old Harvey Grammar School


II

School, later clinic. Built as the Harvey Grammar School in 1882, Architect Robert Wheeler, in Vernacular Revival style. Built of yellow and red brick with some pointed tile-hanging, stone window dressings and tiled roof. Comprises one storey school rooms with massive bell tower at end linking on to two storey and attic Master's house which also included dormitories. School rooms of yellow brick with red brick dressings and plinth, gable end with bands of pointed tiles divided by two courses of yellow bricks, tiled roof with ridge tiles and four stone mullioned and transomed windows divided by buttresses. Tall bell tower of yellow brick with red brick dressings set in centre of south cast front. This is of three stages with recessed central panels with arrow slit windows, wooden bellstage with cinquefoil-headed arches and square spire with alternate bands of plain and pointed tiles and metal weathervane. Four-centred arched stone entrance approached up flight of York stone steps with brick and stone balustrade. Attached to north east is Master's lodging with ground floor of red brick, first floor of yellow brick and attic floor of pointed tilehanging. Tiled roof with three tall clustered brick chimneystacks and an overhanging timber-framed gable to south east and north east with plaster infill, wooden bargeboards and four-light oriel window. Mullioned windows to each front and gabled brick weatherporch with pointed tiled roof to south eastern front. School part comprised school room of 50 x 25 feet and two classrooms. Master's house had Master's and Assistant Master's bedrooms, dormitories for the boys and servants' accommodation.
["A History of the Harvey Grammar School" by the Rev J Howard Brown B Sc.1962.]

Listing NGR: TR2273336237

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.