History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Worthington Place

A Grade II Listed Building in Carlisle, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8776 / 54°52'39"N

Longitude: -2.8866 / 2°53'11"W

OS Eastings: 343209

OS Northings: 554004

OS Grid: NY432540

Mapcode National: GBR 8D81.VB

Mapcode Global: WH803.MNMN

Entry Name: Worthington Place

Listing Date: 14 November 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376806

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468935

Location: St. Cuthbert Without, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA1

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: St Cuthbert Without

Built-Up Area: Carlisle

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Carlisle, Harraby St Elizabeth

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Carlisle

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20/09/2016

NY 45 SW
330- /8/10004

ST CUTHBERT WITHOUT
CUMWHINTON DRIVE
Worthington Place

(Formerly listed as Chapel at Garlands Hospital, CARLETON ROAD (East side (off))

II
Former hospital church. 1875, by JA Cory, county surveyor. Red sandstone ashlar, with contrasting ashlar dressings, and slate roofs with coped gables. Perpendicular Gothic style. Chancel, nave, porches with vestries, bell turret and spire over south porch. Plinth, sill band and buttresses throughout. Windows mainly with segmental pointed arches and moulded heads. Chancel, single bay, has a 4-light east window with transom and panel tracery. North and south sides have similar smaller windows, 2 lights. Nave, 4 bays, has on each side, two 2-light windows in the east bay and two 3-light windows to west. All have minimal tracery. West end has a 4-light window with panel tracery and below it, a 4-centred arched door. Tower porch, to south, has a moulded pointed arched doorway and above it, a small flat headed window to the ringing chamber, 2 lights, with label mould. Octagonal bell turret, buttressed, has a traceried perpendicular style bell opening on alternate faces. Plain octagonal spire, set back behind crenellated parapet. To east, a lean-to vestry with a flat headed 3-light window. Gabled north porch has a similar doorway and vestry. Interior: rendered. Chancel, without arch, has arch braced roof on corbels, and sill band. Plain windows on each side. Nave has arch braced roof with brackets on corbels, and sill band. Plain windows on all sides. 2 west doors. At time of listing fittings included original traceried wooden clergy desk and octagonal pulpit, panelled choir stalls and benches. Organ with show pipes, 1890.

Listing NGR: NY4320954004

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.