This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2439 / 52°14'38"N
Longitude: 0.7171 / 0°43'1"E
OS Eastings: 585597
OS Northings: 264117
OS Grid: TL855641
Mapcode National: GBR QF0.83V
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.CVYN
Plus Code: 9F426PV8+HR
Entry Name: Cathedral Church of St James
Listing Date: 7 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377001
English Heritage Legacy ID: 466649
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP33
District: West Suffolk
Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds
Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
TL8564SE ANGEL HILL
639-1/8/187 (East side)
07/08/52 Cathedral Church of St James
Parish church; became the Cathedral church of the Diocese of
St Edmundsbury and Ipswich in 1914. Early C16, on an earlier
site; by John Wastell, master mason at the Abbey of St Edmund.
C19 alterations by GG Scott, partly replaced by further
extensions of 1960-70 by SE Dykes Bower. Faced in coursed
squared limestone on the south and west apart from the
clerestory which is in rubble flint. A steeply-pitched stone
slate roof to the nave.
PLAN: nave, north and south aisles, crossing and transepts,
chancel and an incomplete central tower.
EXTERIOR: cloister range on the north. The nave, begun in
1503, was completed c1550. In 9 bays. A range of eighteen
2-light windows with cusped heads to the clerestory. 9 bays to
each aisle with a range of 3-light windows, panelled and
cusped, and stepped full-height buttresses between them. Doors
below the windows in the 4th and 8th bays. Battlemented
parapets. A 5-light transomed window to the embattled west end
of each aisle and a very large transomed 7-light west window
to the nave with a decorated base. Diagonal buttresses with
ornate panelling to the aisles.
The pinnacled west gable was designed by Scott, but the
chancel, rebuilt to his design in 1865-9, was demolished to
make way for the work of the 1960s, still not fully completed.
This is in a Tudoresque style using a combination of Clipsham
and Doulting stone with flint flushwork panels to the outer
INTERIOR of the nave is very high with arcades of 9 bays to
north and south. The piers are lozenge-shaped with 4 thin
shafts and 4 broad hollows in the diagonals. The
brightly-painted roof, replaced by Scott, has arched-braced
hammer-beam trusses and is in 18 short bays. Every alternate
hammer-beam has a carved figure bearing a shield. A
heavily-decorated cornice and frieze.
(BOE: Pevsner N: Radcliffe E: Suffolk: London: 1974-: 141).
Listing NGR: TL8559764117
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings