This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.14 / 51°8'24"N
Longitude: -0.0458 / 0°2'45"W
OS Eastings: 536803
OS Northings: 139676
OS Grid: TQ368396
Mapcode National: GBR KLQ.F6Z
Mapcode Global: VHGSS.5L3X
Plus Code: 9C3X4XR3+2M
Entry Name: Felbridge County Primary School
Listing Date: 20 February 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377602
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287528
Location: Felbridge, Tandridge, Surrey, RH19
Civil Parish: Felbridge
Built-Up Area: East Grinstead
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Felbridge St John
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 33 NE FELBRIDGE CRAWLEY DOWN ROAD
School. 1783, founded by James Evelyn; extended in 1934. Flemish bond red brick
with some burnt headers on ground floor and tile-hung timber frame first floor.
Plain tile roof with gabled and half-hipped ends. Brick axial stack.
3-room lobby entrance plan; the former kitchen at centre and small teacher's parlour
on right heated from back-to-back fireplaces in axial stack which forms entrance
lobby at front. The left hand room was the classroom (now kitchen). 3 rooms on
first floor. The C20 stair wing at back probably replaces the original stair
outshut and dates from circa 1934 when a large extension was built on left (west).
2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window south east front. Ground floor cambered arch
window openings. 2 3-light leaded-pane casements on left and 12-pane sash on right.
3 small 2-light casements on first floor. Doorway to right of centre with C20
panelled and glazed door and C20 hipped roof open porch. Depressed 2-centred arch
window on right hand (north east) end with 2-light casements with Y-bars and leaded
panes. Short hipped roof wing at rear. Large 1934 extension attached on left
extending to rear.
Interior: Ground floor central room (original kitchen) has chamfered cross-beam
without stops and large brick fireplace with big unchamfered timber lintel. Small
right hand room (parlour) has C20 brick fireplace. First floor has roughly
chamfered cross-beams with run-out stops and exposed wall-plate. C20 staircase and
C20 roof structure.
Note: In 1783 James Evelyn (descendant of John Evelyn, the Diarist) "chose a large
house at Hedgecourt Common - arranging for 1½ acres around it to be enclosed and
used as a school". The school opened on 4 November 1783 and was for 8 boys and
Sources: G Williams, The Village School (1983). Report by P J Gray.
Listing NGR: TQ3680339676
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings