This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1698 / 51°10'11"N
Longitude: -0.1758 / 0°10'32"W
OS Eastings: 527633
OS Northings: 142758
OS Grid: TQ276427
Mapcode National: GBR JJT.QC0
Mapcode Global: VHGSH.WVYL
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 11 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1378035
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289607
Location: Horley, Reigate and Banstead, Surrey, RH6
District: Reigate and Banstead
Civil Parish: Horley
Built-Up Area: Horley
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Horley
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 24SE HORLEY C.P. CHURCH ROAD
5/6 Church of St. Bartholomew
Church. C14,restored in 1881 by A.W. Blomfield, south aisle added in 1901.
Rendered exterior, dressed stone to north porch; plain tiled roofs with ridge
cresting, wood shingled bell turret and spire to north west. Aisled nave with
porches to north and west, chancel to the east with chapel to south , vestry to
south and bell turret in west bay of north aisle. Quoined buttresses to aisles,
diagonal at west end. Three gables to west end with 2 C19 Perpendicular style
windows to nave and south aisle. Renewed C14 "Kentish style" tracery to north
aisle windows. North door C14 in delicate double shaft surround.
Interior: 4 bay nave arcades, C14 octagonal piers to north. Crown post nave roof
separated from chancel by billeted tie beam. Tower posts set into west bay of north
aisle. Corbelled arch to south chancel wall.
Fittings: Early C20 rood screen now across west wall. C20 pews and arcaded pulpit.
Early C20 marble font; square bowl on centre stem.
Monuments: North chancel wall. Brass to Joan Fenner, died 1517; female figure of
c1400 under ogee canopy borrowed from another monument,three-quarters life size.
South chancel wall:- brass to unnamed man, possibly John Fenner? North chancel
wall- Tablet commemorating William Brown, Vicar from 1561-1611; stone, square
with roll moulded edge recording 3 generations of his family horizontally across
the panel. North aisle chapel:- Monument to a member of the Salaman family.
Early C14 life size stone Knight in armour reclining with head on cushion, feet
on lion,on a chest tomb uhder arched canopy.
Wall painting:- traces of wall painting of a Madonna with lily, reflecting the
original dedication of the Church to St. Mary the Virgin, changed at the Reformation,
visible on eastern column of north aisle arcade.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p.318.
Listing NGR: TQ2762742759
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings