This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3625 / 50°21'44"N
Longitude: -4.1629 / 4°9'46"W
OS Eastings: 246260
OS Northings: 53635
OS Grid: SX462536
Mapcode National: GBR R6Y.CV
Mapcode Global: FRA 2852.N1X
Plus Code: 9C2Q9R6P+XV
Entry Name: Main Gate, Royal William Victualling Yard
Listing Date: 13 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1378530
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476480
Location: Plymouth, PL1
County: City of Plymouth
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter and the Waterfront
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20/12/2011
SX 4653 NW
CREMYLL STREET, Stonehouse
Main Gate, Royal William Victualling Yard
Archway. c.1829-33, by Sir John Rennie Jr, for the Victualling Board, possibly with Sir J Chantrey sculptor. Granite ashlar, possibly Portland stone statue. Late Georgian style.
PLAN: rectangular plan triumphal arch with flanking single-depth lodges. 2-storey arch with single-storey lodges each side.
EXTERIOR: a massive archway in channelled granite, with deep pilasters flanking a round arch, plain frieze with fine carved ox heads over the pilasters, cornice and plinth to a large statue of William IV in Roman garb; lower entrances either side have clasping pilasters, string and parapet, with flat-headed doorways with incised voussoirs under a round panel with fouled crossed anchors, the victualling yard symbol; the S door leads to the Porter's lodge, the N to the Yard. The reverse elevation is similar, with engaged columns to the side doors. The arch has good studded oak double doors ramped up to the sides each of 10 fielded panels with iron cresting, and there are matching doors to the sides; these replaced the originals in 1886. The inside of the arch has doorways in antis. An area of granite paving extends through the arch to the front.
HISTORY: the only land entrance to the Yard apart from the cattle door to the N. With the flanking Slaughterhouse and Police House (qv), the arch forms an appropriately imposing entrance to the yard. Rennie consulted Chantrey on the design of the statue, but its actual sculptor is unknown.
The Yard is one of the most remarkable and complete early C19 industrial complexes in the country, and a unique English example of Neo-Classical planning of a state manufacturing site.
(Sources: Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants: The Royal William Victualling Yard, Stonehouse: 1994: 54-57; The Mariner's Mirror: Coad J: Historic Architecture of HM Naval Base Devonport 1689-1850: London: 1983: 382-390; Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 282-290).
Listing NGR: SX4626053635
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings