History in Structure

St Columbas Hospital

A Grade II Listed Building in Hampstead Town, London

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5671 / 51°34'1"N

Longitude: -0.1753 / 0°10'31"W

OS Eastings: 526565

OS Northings: 186936

OS Grid: TQ265869

Mapcode National: GBR CZ.VX1

Mapcode Global: VHGQK.XW51

Plus Code: 9C3XHR8F+RV

Entry Name: St Columbas Hospital

Listing Date: 10 April 1981

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1378794

English Heritage Legacy ID: 478148

Also known as: The Elms
The Elms, Hampstead

ID on this website: 101378794

Location: Hampstead Heath, Camden, London, NW3

County: London

District: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: Hampstead Town

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Christ Church Hampstead

Church of England Diocese: London

Tagged with: House Hospital building

Find accommodation in
East Finchley



798-1/9/1490 (East side)
10/04/81 St Columba's Hospital


Formerly known as: The Elms SPANIARD'S ROAD.
Detached house. c1875, probably enclosing an earlier building
on the site itself of two periods but of which no trace is now
visible internally. Red brick with terracotta dressings and
Welsh slate roof. Free style, with details and several shaped
gables in the style of George Devey. Long irregular 2-storey
range having 3 projecting gabled sections and a tower at the
south end. C20 north extensions.
INTERIOR: not inspected but noted to retain a large reception
room of 2 storey height with carved oak panelling of great
richness and individuality, French Renaissance style, a large
carved chimney piece and a frieze and ceiling with grotesque
grille panels. A full height bay window faces a viewing
gallery at 1st floor level above the entrance. Another small
room is fitted with C18 style panelling and ceiling
plasterwork. A larger saloon has flat Adam style decoration.
Traces of woodwork and carving similar to the first room and
Jacobean style doors and architraves in the hall and other
rooms; also a staircase and stairwell in Jacobean style. Room
north of main saloon has damaged decorated ceiling concealed
by slung modern ceiling. Former matron's office; altered by
partition etc., has good ceiling, fireplace and panelling.
Upstairs refurbishment in 1930s has introduced some woodworks
and bathroom fittings in Art Deco style.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the house was owned 1894-1908 by Sir Joseph
Joel Duveen, art dealer and collector, who had it richly
embellished in the 1890s, possibly employing Collcutt, who had
also worked in his West End showrooms as decorator. It stands
on the site of Mother Huff's Tea Gardens which flourished here
for 50 years from 1678.

Listing NGR: TQ2656586936

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.