History in Structure

Hampstead Town Hall and Attached Walls and Piers

A Grade II Listed Building in Belsize, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5511 / 51°33'3"N

Longitude: -0.1663 / 0°9'58"W

OS Eastings: 527231

OS Northings: 185171

OS Grid: TQ272851

Mapcode National: GBR D0.YJJ

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.28DS

Plus Code: 9C3XHR2M+CF

Entry Name: Hampstead Town Hall and Attached Walls and Piers

Listing Date: 1 August 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1378818

English Heritage Legacy ID: 478174

ID on this website: 101378818

Location: Maitland Park, Camden, London, NW3

County: London

District: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: Belsize

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Peter Belsize Park

Church of England Diocese: London

Tagged with: City hall Seat of local government

Find accommodation in



798-1/39/789 (South West side)
01/08/94 Hampstead Town Hall and attached
walls & piers


Town hall, now council offices. 1877-8. By HE Kendall and
Frederick Mew. Red brick, rusticated at ground floor level,
with stone dressings. Italianate style.
EXTERIOR: symmetrical design. Central stone-cased entrance
with panelled pilasters supporting mask console brackets to
pediment with carved, foliated cartouche and acroterion;
double part-glazed panelled doors, with 2 rectangular
overlights and a further overlight, approached by wide steps
with low stone balustrades having elaborately enriched
cast-iron lampstandards with ladder bars and Windsor lanterns.
To each side of the entrance, 3 stone architraved sashes with
scrolled pediments incorporating architraved oculi. Dentil
cornice at 1st floor level below a blind balustrade with
panels of carved enrichment. 3 tall round-arched central
windows flanked by brick pilasters linked by impost bands;
pilasters marking bays and angles continue in fluted stone to
support an entablature with "Town Hall" inscribed on the
frieze and modillion cornice crowned by a pediment with oculus
above central bay and parapet above outer bays. Returns
without entrances but in similar style and having friezes
inscribed "Erected AD 1877".
INTERIOR: with many original details including cornices,
fireplaces, clocks and radiators. Top-lit entrance hall with
patterned tile floor and Imperial stair with elaborate
cast-iron balusters and newels having brass lamp-holders. At
1st landing, a round-arched mirror in marble surround with
clock in pediment. In right hand stair well, a marble 1st
World War Memorial with columns supporting an entablature
surmounted by a coat of arms. Good marble fireplace in
porter's booth. In rear corridor a Boer War memorial formed of
brass panels. First-floor assembly hall with stage has heavy
cornice with console brackets dropping down over frieze.
Secondary stair with cast-iron balustrade. Included as a fine
early example of a London vestry hall.

Listing NGR: TQ2723185171

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 9 February 2017.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.