History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cittie of Yorke Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Holborn and Covent Garden, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5184 / 51°31'6"N

Longitude: -0.1128 / 0°6'46"W

OS Eastings: 531036

OS Northings: 181635

OS Grid: TQ310816

Mapcode National: GBR L9.TV

Mapcode Global: VHGR0.0369

Entry Name: Cittie of Yorke Public House

Listing Date: 14 May 1974

Last Amended: 11 January 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1378857

English Heritage Legacy ID: 478216

Location: Camden, London, WC1V

County: London

District: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Alban Holborn

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


798-1/102/828 (North side)
14/05/74 Nos.22 AND 23
Cittie of Yorke Public House
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.22 AND 23
Henekey's Public House)


Public house. Mostly of 1923-4, probably by Ernest R Barrow,
replacing earlier wine shop of G Henekey and Co. Front faced
in Portland stone with leaded lights, side and rear elevations
of stock brick with wooden windows. Tiled roofs. Neo-Tudor
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys and cellars. Front symmetrical, divided
into 2 vertical units. Ground storey of front with doors at
ends, centre with windows above timber base, slightly altered.
Above, shallow bay windows left and right rising through 2
storeys and capped with string course carried on ornamental
corbels, and then a third storey with single mullioned windows
and terminating in parapet with 2 small enriched and
shouldered gables. Large clock on ornamental bracket in centre
between first and second storeys.
INTERIOR: public entrance on right leading into wide passage
with 4-centred timber arches and paved with flagstones. Front
bar conventional with high panelled dado. Rear bar takes the
form of a medieval-style hall running north-south with open
timberwork and much dark woodwork, and lit from a clerestory
and large bay window along east side. Below clerestory, 3
arches of uneven width with a series of snugs behind. On the
west side the bar and above it a gallery on thin fluted
cast-iron columns, probably Victorian, supporting casks and
barrels of perhaps similar date, and above that again a high
passage gallery for access to casks running the length of the
room, partly supported from roof, partly by lower gallery and
with wrought-iron handrail. Fittings include a freestanding
triangular cast-iron ornamental stove fireplace with initials
'TIK', reputedly from Gray's Inn, c1815.
HISTORICAL NOTE: an inscription on the fascia reads:
'Established as the site of a public house in 1430'. The
present building retains few traces of pre-twentieth century

Listing NGR: TQ3103581648

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.