History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

55-67 Swinton Street and Attached Railings, Including the Former King's Head Public House (Numbers 61-63)

A Grade II Listed Building in King's Cross, Camden

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5287 / 51°31'43"N

Longitude: -0.1187 / 0°7'7"W

OS Eastings: 530600

OS Northings: 182766

OS Grid: TQ306827

Mapcode National: GBR K6.H5

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.WTMZ

Entry Name: 55-67 Swinton Street and Attached Railings, Including the Former King's Head Public House (Numbers 61-63)

Listing Date: 25 October 1971

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1378960

English Heritage Legacy ID: 478323

Location: Camden, London, WC1X

County: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: King's Cross

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Holy Cross Cromer Street

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Finsbury

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 25/07/2017

TQ3082NE
798-1/91/1588

CAMDEN
SWINTON STREET (South side)
Nos. 55-67 (Odd) and attached railings including the former King's Head Public House (Nos. 61-63)

(Formerly listed as Nos. 55-67 (Odd) and attached railings including The King's Head Public House (Nos. 61-63))

25/10/71

GV
II
Terrace of seven houses. c1776, some altered.

Nos. 55-59: darkened stock brick, Nos. 55 and 57, third floors rebuilt. No.55 painted ground floor; Nos. 55 and 57 rusticated stucco ground floors. Plain stucco first floor bands. Four storeys and basements. Three windows each. No.55, wooden doorway with fluted pilasters and brackets carrying projecting cornice; fanlight and panelled door. No.57, wooden Doric doorcase with open pediment; round-arched doorway with radial fanlight, panelled reveals and door. No.59, segmental-arched, recessed doorway with fanlight. Gauged red brick flat arches to recessed sashes with glazing bars; first floors Nos. 55 and 57 with cast-iron balconies. Parapets.

INTERIORS: not inspected.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with urn (No.55) and torch flambe finials to areas.

Nos. 61-63 (Former King's Head Public House): stucco. Formerly two houses with three windows each, now five windows. Four storeys and cellars. C20 public house frontage with late C19 consoles flanking fascia. Architraved sashes, with lugs to first floor. Parapet with plain stucco band.

INTERIORS: ground floor with c1930s bar interior with central counter and bar back.
No.65: darkened stock brick. four storeys one window. Late C19 wooden shop frontage with enriched consoles. Gauged red brick flat arches to recessed C20 sashes. Parapet.

INTERIOR: not inspected.

No.67: darkened stock brick with painted ground floor. Four storeys and basement. Three windows. Wooden architraved doorcase with simplified Doric entablature and dentil cornice, fanlight, panelled reveals and C20 door. Gauged red brick flat arches to recessed C20 sashes. Parapet.

INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with torch flambe finials to areas.
(Survey of London: Vol. XXIV, King's Cross Neighbourhood, St Pancras IV: London: 1952: 98).


Listing NGR: TQ3064082777

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.