History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mary Ward Centre and Attached Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in King's Cross, London

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5253 / 51°31'31"N

Longitude: -0.1269 / 0°7'36"W

OS Eastings: 530036

OS Northings: 182374

OS Grid: TQ300823

Mapcode National: GBR H7.ND

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.RX7K

Entry Name: Mary Ward Centre and Attached Railings

Listing Date: 14 May 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1378963

English Heritage Legacy ID: 478326

Location: Camden, London, WC1H

County: London

District: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: King's Cross

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Pancras with St James and Christ Church St Pancras

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


798-1/95/1591 (North side)
14/05/74 No.9
Mary Ward Centre and attached


School for handicapped children, now social centre. c1903. By
Arnold Dunbar Smith and Cecil Brewer. For the Passmore Edwards
Settlement, later called the Mary Ward Settlement. Red brick
with slated, hipped roof and dormers. Rectangular plan with
projecting wings to main, east, facade in courtyard facing
former Mary Ward Settlement (qv). Neo-Georgian style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attics. 11 windows. Single storey
entrance extension to Tavistock Place. Entrance facade with
slightly projecting bay; bracketed hood to 2-leaf doors. Above
the hood, a lunette with brick relief keystone and radiating
strips. Bay flanked by narrow, vertically set flush sashes
with exposed boxing and brick sills. Stone capped parapet, set
back from which, top storey of the school; 3 similar sashes
under a modillion cornice.
East facade of school symmetrical; central, slightly
projecting, brick porch with plain bracketed canopy over
recessed doorway. Above the canopy, a fanlight with radiating
brick relief strips. Gauged brick flat arches to flush sashes
with exposed boxing. Beneath the central sash on each wing, a
wooden door with glazing bars to the level of the flanking
windows' sills. Projecting, stone modillion cornice. Central
dormer of Palladian window type with date 1903 on enriched,
blind centre panel. Entrance extension with 2 sashes and stone
capped parapet. Decorated lead rainwater heads.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron area railings of
rectangular bars set diagonally with splayed tops and posts of
bars bent and riveted to form an arch.

Listing NGR: TQ3003282380

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.