This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5426 / 51°32'33"N
Longitude: -0.1983 / 0°11'53"W
OS Eastings: 525039
OS Northings: 184172
OS Grid: TQ250841
Mapcode National: GBR C6.GPG
Mapcode Global: VHGQR.JH09
Entry Name: The National Club
Listing Date: 5 February 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1379255
English Heritage Legacy ID: 478623
Location: Camden, London, NW6
Electoral Ward/Division: Kilburn
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James West Hampstead
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2584SW KILBURN HIGH ROAD
798-1/58/990 (East side)
05/02/91 The National Club
Formerly known as: The Grange Cinema KILBURN HIGH ROAD.
Former cinema, now club premises. 1914. By Edward A Stone.
Stucco, channelled to ground floor. Red and plum coloured
brick returns and rear. Slate mansard roof with terracotta
cresting; green copper dome surmounted by lantern with cupola
above entrance bays.
PLAN: rectangular plan on island site.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. 8 bays to main road plus 3 bay canted
corner with main entrance to right. Various doorways to ground
floor. Entablature with projecting cornice at 1st floor level.
1st floor entrance bays with round-arched windows having
margin glazing with stained glass and keystones flanked by
channelled pilasters supporting a projecting cornice and
parapet with recessed panels. Symmetrical 1st floor facade to
main road with five 5-light windows with patterned glazing
bars and stained glass flanked by channelled pilasters
supporting a parapet. Centre bay slightly projecting with
stepped pediment having an enriched plaque inscribed "The
Grange". Each end bay with shallow round-arched niche
containing a blind rectangular panel and panel inscribed "The
Grange Cinema"; keystone and stepped pediment with festoons.
Right hand return of plum coloured brick with red brick quoins
and 6 pilasters rising through 1st and 2nd floors to support a
red brick entablature at 3rd floor level; 3rd floor central
attic of 4 pilasters with pediment flanked by parapet. Rear
and left hand return in similar style but plainer.
INTERIOR: dramatic, double-height, top-lit foyer with Adam
style enrichment; Ionic columns support, on large console
brackets, an oval balustrade to the 1st floor lit by stained
glass windows and mirrors flanked by enriched pilasters
carrying ribs to central oval blind lantern. 1st floor, gained
by wide stair, with ornate panelling and plasterwork and some
good 1930s light fittings to circulation areas. Massive
auditorium with U-shaped balcony on enriched pillars providing
enriched plaster arcade to ground floor. Coved, enriched,
panelled plasterwork ceiling with intricate detailing on beams
and circular air vents. To either side, balconies arcaded.
Proscenium arch flanked by large enriched pilasters; widened
by MK Matthews, 1927. Seating now removed and side balconies
partly masked by bar partitioning.
HISTORICAL NOTE: designed to seat 2,310, The Grange was the
largest cinema in Europe when constructed and one of very few
surviving examples nationally that display cinema design at
its point of departure from theatre planning.
Listing NGR: TQ2503984172
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings