This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9608 / 51°57'38"N
Longitude: -0.5845 / 0°35'4"W
OS Eastings: 497358
OS Northings: 230092
OS Grid: SP973300
Mapcode National: GBR F2T.318
Mapcode Global: VHFQY.TZC7
Entry Name: Fountaines Farmhouse
Listing Date: 17 May 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1379934
English Heritage Legacy ID: 479380
Location: Milton Bryan, Central Bedfordshire, MK17
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Milton Bryan
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Milton Bryan
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
SP 9730 SOUTH END
1846/12/10006 Fountaine's Farmhouse
Farmhouse and attached service range. 1875, with late C20 alterations. By William Clutton, architect of London for the Duke of Bedford.
MATERIALS : Smooth red brick with ashlar stone and decorative brick detailing, tall brick ridge and gable chimneys with clustered stacks and substantial brick caps. Clay tile roof covering.
PLAN: linear arrangement of house and outbuilding , aligned north-east- south -west, the house L-shaped with wing extending south-eastwards, and attached service range to south-west end enclosing a small courtyard.
FRONT ( north-west ) ELEVATION of 2 storeys and 4 bays set on a shallow chamfered plinth, with single storey bay to south-west end. Off-centre entrance enclosed by gabled porch with open arcaded ground floor, the posts with short diagonal braces. Ashlar surround to enclosed doorway and plank door. Above, first floor 4-light mullioned window with dripmould below gablet with painted box-farme decoration. Bay to left with transomed 4-light window to ground floor below dentilled string course. To right of porch, single light opening below 2 light upper floor window, and then stacked 6-light windows with major mullions to end bay Single storey bay is blind, with low enclosure wall fronting service court.
REAR ELEVATION with advanced half hipped gable to right with canted ground floor , and 6-light transomed window to ground floor below 6 -light first floor window, both openings with major mullions.. To left, set back gabled stair tower with 2-light transomed window at half landing level.
Main range extends left with plain rear doorway and Late C20 inserted screen, below 6-light mullioned window set on brick cill band.. At south-west end , advanced part of service court range with hipped end encloses rear of service court. The l-shaped service range has shallow arched heads to doors and windows, and glazing bar window frames.
INTERIOR: Entrance hall with doorways having 4 -panelled doors leads to principal stair, with square underpanelling, closely spaced splat balusters, and newel posts with polygonal finials. Plain surrounds to hearths at ground and first floor levels, with semi-circular grates. 4-panelled doors to upper floor rooms .
A substantial late C19 farmhouse with attached service range, designed by William Clutton for the Bedford Estate, little -altered externally, and which illustrates the investment in new and architecturally distinctive farmsteads by a major landed estate in the 'High Farming' period of the second half of the C19.
Listing NGR: SP9735830092
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings