This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7075 / 51°42'27"N
Longitude: -0.1802 / 0°10'48"W
OS Eastings: 525834
OS Northings: 202541
OS Grid: TL258025
Mapcode National: GBR JB7.WT7
Mapcode Global: VHGPZ.TBKW
Entry Name: Osborne House
Listing Date: 28 April 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380272
English Heritage Legacy ID: 480100
Location: North Mymms, Welwyn Hatfield, Hertfordshire, EN6
Civil Parish: North Mymms
Built-Up Area: Potters Bar
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Little Heath Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL20SE OSBORNE ROAD
77/12/10053 Osborne House
Villa. c.1855-58. Colour-washed render, slate roof, brick chimneys.
Plan: Double-pile plan but with taller front range under a hipped roof, and rear rooms under a gently sloping catslide. Former outbuildings attached at right-angles to rear. 2-storey main house, with cellars.
Exterior: Symmetrical front has 3 bays of sash windows with rendered architrave surrounds and vermiculated keyblocks. Lower windows have deep stone sills on scroll brackets; upper windows have rendered sills on small consoles with lion's heads. Central 6-panelled door with ornamental metalwork overlight and richly decorated rendered doorcase, comprising shell and dart architrave, tapering pilasters, small cartouches and enriched cornice. 2 shaped stone steps with simple iron railings. Left return has full-height semi-circular bay with banded rustication and tripartite sash windows, the lower opening with central curved French doors having marginal glazing and traceried top and bottom lights. Casement windows to rear range, those to first-floor rear in later flat-roofed semi-dormers. Attached outbuildings to rear are single-storey with pantile roofs. Near block has been enlarged around original connecting passage; middle block, with wooden casements and door, formerly served as brewhouse, coal cellar and henhouse; far block, originally coach house and stable, has been much altered.
Interior: Front parlours have coved plaster ceiling cornices and 4-panel doors in moulded architraves, the left parlour also with deep moulded skirtings. Altered fireplaces. Bedrooms above retain original simple wooden fireplace surrounds. Room to rear of left parlour, formerly kitchen, has stone-flagged floor, internal window with octagonal glazing, and inserted C18 wooden fireplace, richly carved in Adam style with figured panels and enriched fluting. Staircase with matchstick balusters and slender turned newels. Roof and cellar contain a few timbers re-used from a timber-framed building.
History: Plans on the deeds suggest that the villa was built between 1855 and 1858 to replace an earlier farmhouse, the farm outbuildings demolished at the same time in order to clear space for new lawns.
A late example of the classical villa style, finely detailed and with a clear distinction between high-status front rooms and service rooms to rear.
Listing NGR: TL2583402541
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings