History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel of the Royal County Sussex Hospital

A Grade II Listed Building in Brighton and Hove, The City of Brighton and Hove

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8196 / 50°49'10"N

Longitude: -0.1183 / 0°7'5"W

OS Eastings: 532647

OS Northings: 103917

OS Grid: TQ326039

Mapcode National: GBR KQH.DYB

Mapcode Global: FRA B6MX.ZQD

Entry Name: Chapel of the Royal County Sussex Hospital

Listing Date: 2 February 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1380482

English Heritage Legacy ID: 480671

Location: Brighton and Hove, BN2

County: The City of Brighton and Hove

Electoral Ward/Division: East Brighton

Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Brighton St George with St Anne and St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text


BRIGHTON

TQ3203NE EASTERN ROAD
577-1/49/241 (North side)
02/02/89 Chapel of the Royal County Sussex
Hospital

II

Hospital chapel. Dated 1854 on plaque fixed to inside of north
wall, decorative panelling added in early C20 very likely as a
memorial to the War Dead. Designed by William Hallett,
probably paid for by Lawrence Peel; dedicated by Frederick
William Marquis of Bristol. Italianate style. Ashlar. Hipped
roof of slate with wooden light register.
PLAN: rectangular with shallow square-ended chancel in the
east wall. 3-window range to the north elevation. The building
is centred on the centre axis of the main hospital block, and
projects from the rear.
EXTERIOR: C20 additions have now reduced the exterior to one
principal elevation, the north, which has a rusticated ashlar
base topped by a storey band, corner quoins and a very high
parapet. Each round-arched window is set in a slightly
projecting aedicule, with plain jambs and spandrel topped by a
keystone. Entrance in the south wall from the hospital.
INTERIOR: the interior decoration is the result of 2 distinct
building campaigns. A description of the first, which dates to
1854, follows: moulded step up into the chancel, which is
entered through an elliptical diaphragm arch. The chancel
entrance has an architrave ornamented with a guilloche to its
outer face; the jambs and arch are keyed. The soffit of the
arch is panelled. In the east wall of the chancel is a
tripartite, flat-arched aedicule, in the centre of which is a
window filled with a mid C19 painted and stained glass. In the
north wall are 3 round-arched openings, set back from the wall
plane. Each has a stone eared-and-shouldered architrave which
is, like that to the chancel arch, keyed. In the west wall are
2 similar windows. The articulated keystones of the chancel
arch and windows are linked by string moulding. From the
entablature at the top of each wall rises a coved ceiling
divided into panels by ribs. The elevation of the light
register in the centre of the ceiling is, in its lower
section, ornamented by ribbons and swags. Above are
flat-arched windows set into a Tuscan pilastrade. The flat
ceiling is panelled. Black and white stone and marble pavement
very likely dates to the late C19 or early C20, when oak
panelling was set up along the lower 2 thirds of each wall.
Across top of all panels is a diminutive entablature with
dentil cornice. The segmental-arched entrance framed by a pair
of pilaster strips, their panelled fronts ornamented with
tongued hearts; broad panelled entablature above is ornamented
with a garland frieze. Opposite the chancel and between the 2
windows in the west wall, is an elaborate aedicule: pilasters
similar to those already described set on acanthus corbels
terminate in Composite capitals each supporting a fluted
impost block; there is a broken segmental pediment above. The
entablature which runs through the aedicule and between the 2
windows has a boldly projecting cornice and frieze of garland
swags in very high relief. A memorial panel of noteworthy
design in the north wall: pair of console brackets support
panelled pilasters and entablature with garland swags.
Furnishings of note include: west choir stalls and returns as
well as the carved rail associated with them; reading desk of
similar design now on the north wall; baptismal font in the
north-east corner placed on the extension of chancel step;
organ case in south-east corner. The works of the latter are
of late C20 date, but the case, like all the above-named
furnishings, is C19. There is an inscription at the top of the
panelling, along the east wall, which returns west on both
sides: "Praise with Love and Worship Many Honourable Women
Those That Gave Their Lives for Us When We Were Like to Die".
In the centre window on the north side there is a small brass
plaque below the sill; it reads: "The Most Honourable
Frederick William Marquis of Bristol Erected This Chapel A.D.
1854".

Listing NGR: TQ3264703917

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.