This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8187 / 50°49'7"N
Longitude: -0.1185 / 0°7'6"W
OS Eastings: 532631
OS Northings: 103811
OS Grid: TQ326038
Mapcode National: GBR KQH.LVD
Mapcode Global: FRA B6MX.ZLY
Entry Name: The Royal Gymnasium and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 26 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380705
English Heritage Legacy ID: 481029
Location: Brighton and Hove, BN2
County: The City of Brighton and Hove
Electoral Ward/Division: East Brighton
Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Brighton St George with St Anne and St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ3203NE PASTON PLACE
577-1/49/659 (East side)
The Royal Gymnasium and attached
Also known as: St George's Hall PASTON PLACE.
Gymnasium and fencing rooms. 1864. By Frederick Mahomed, the
second son of Sake Dene Mahomed. Stucco scored to imitate
ashlaring. Roof of slate with gable facing Paston Place.
Rectangular plan with long axis to return on Sudeley Terrace.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys over basement. 3-window range on main and
return elevations. The main elevation is treated as a temple
front with a tetrastyle portico of Tuscan pilasters supporting
an entablature and shallow pediment with raking cornice. The
pilasters and entablature continue across the return for 3
bays. The structure might be termed "Greek Revival" style were
it not for its very late date and its eccentric use of the
order; the pilasters are exceptionally narrow for their
height, and the intercolumniations so wide as to be mannered.
This is especially true on the return. The entablature is
unusually broad, making the barely articulated cornice an
almost vestigial feature. This rather wilful rendering of
classical forms may perhaps be explained by the building type,
which is not an exalted one. In any case, there is a
flat-arched entrance in the centre bay of the main elevation.
It is set within an aedicule consisting of a pair of Tuscan
pilasters and entablature. All the windows are flat arched
with deep reveals and projecting sills. Each first-floor
window on the main elevation has a floating cornice supported
by a pair of console brackets. On the return there is a second
flat-arched entrance to the rear. The entablature to the
return is topped by a blocking course.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
There are spear-headed cast-iron railings with French-curve
brackets to entrance and broad area on all sides.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the Gymnasium and Fencing Rooms were first
opened in Church Street, in what is now the Wagon and Horses
Public House. It became St George's Church Hall in 1889, when
the Church was being reseated, redecorated and extended. The
gymnasium fittings remained in place until 1962.
(Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 166A).
Listing NGR: TQ3263103811
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings