History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Numbers 1 to 9 and Attached Walls Piers and Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Brighton and Hove, The City of Brighton and Hove

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8172 / 50°49'1"N

Longitude: -0.1188 / 0°7'7"W

OS Eastings: 532617

OS Northings: 103649

OS Grid: TQ326036

Mapcode National: GBR KQH.LSQ

Mapcode Global: FRA B6MY.5JR

Entry Name: Numbers 1 to 9 and Attached Walls Piers and Railings

Listing Date: 13 October 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1380486

English Heritage Legacy ID: 480687

Location: Brighton and Hove, BN2

County: The City of Brighton and Hove

Electoral Ward/Division: East Brighton

Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Brighton St George with St Anne and St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 08/03/2013


TQ3203NE
577-1/49/264
13/10/52


BRIGHTON
EASTERN TERRACE
(North side)
Nos.1-9 (Consecutive)
and attached walls, piers and
railings

GV II

Terraced houses, Nos 4, 5, 7, 8 and 9. 1828, altered in late C19
and early C20. Stucco and brick in Flemish bond. Roof of No.1
obscured by parapet, Nos 2 and 4 of slate, and Nos 3 and 5-9
of slate covered in pitch.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic over basement; dormers to all
but No.1. The terrace has a very unusual plan: Nos 1 and 9 are
at right angles to Marine Parade, the former being set back a
good distance from the road and having a circular bay at the
right corner. The intermediate range, Nos 2-7, is parallel to
Marine Parade; the elevation of No.2 is treated as a
full-height and nearly full-width segmental bay; No.8 has a
concave plan which turns the corner, as it were, to No.9, the
corner of which fronts directly onto Marine Parade. In
conception then, the plan is a modified "L". No.1 has 7 window
range, with a corner bay of 5-window range; Nos 2-8 have 3
windows each; and No.9 has a 7-window range. Nos 1 and 9,
which have nearly identical entrance elevation, are the
grandest in the group; although the elevations of the other
units are roughly similar, giving the whole a more rather than
less uniform appearance, the particular design of each is
unique.
No.1 is the most ambitious design of all. The entrance
originally was set to the left of the corner bay in a
tetrastyle Doric portico which has been filled following
conversion into flats in the C20; the new entrance has been
moved to the rear of the unit. The original entrance window
range is broader than the rest, having tripartite windows
framed by a Tuscan tetrastyle aedicule; the attic window is
tripartite with a plain architrave. All the windows, here and
throughout the terrace, are flat arched with projecting sills.
The windows in the corner bay have architraves, and, on the
first and second floors, floating cornices. The bay window
next to the entrance range on the first floor is blocked. To
the left of the entrance range is a full-height segmental bay
of 3 windows, all upper storey windows have architraves, with
first and second floor windows, again, having floating
cornices. The return continues for 2 windows to the left of
this bay and follows the same fenestration pattern. The sills
of the attic windows here and throughout the row are level
with the upper fascia of the second floor cornice. This
cornice is one of the few features which continues across the
whole terrace, and is interrupted only by a level change at
the party wall between Nos 8 and 9. Another feature which
unifies the terrace is a continuous first-floor balcony
beginning on the corner bay of No.1. and having cast-iron
railings; the latter step out over each entrance porch.
The facade of No.2 is treated as a full-height and nearly
full-width segmental bay; stairs up to entrance set in
distyle-in-antis porch with entablature and blocking course;
the plan of the porch mirrors the curve of the bay. All
entrances are flat arched and reached by stairs, although
their porches differ. The first-floor French doors have been
restored since 1980; architrave and full entablature to each
opening on the first and second floors.
Each entrance of Nos 3 and 4 set in prostyle porch consisting
of a pair of Tuscan columns and entablature with projecting
cornice; porch of No.3 topped by a C20 glazed verandah, the
roof of C19 design. Architraves to first- and second-floor
openings removed, the wall surface replaced by cement coating
beyond which only the sills project. No.4 survives with more
of its original features.
Nos 5, 6 and 7 have stucco to the ground floor only, with
brown stock brick used for the upper storey wall surfaces.
Entrances to Nos 5 and 6 paired and set under elaborate porch,
mid C19 date: the party wall projects to form a double pier in
the centre of the porch; antae to the outer corners; incised
on each pier is the outline of a Greek-key pilaster strip;
entablature with bracketed cornice; side walls of porch
pierced by round-arched windows with architraves interrupted
by impost blocks and keystones; windows 1 x 1 sashes with
margin lights of coloured glass. Architraves to openings on
all windows but Nos 3 and 4. The attic windows of Nos 5 and 6
have been lengthened and now interrupt the second floor
cornice. Each second-floor and attic window of No.6 has a
balcony; all windows to this unit have pelmets. Entrances to
Nos 7 and 8 are framed by a projecting aedicule of Doric
pilasters and entablature, the latter's follows the concave
plan of the elevation.
The entrance elevation to No.9, at right angles to the facades
of Nos 2-7, is comparable to that of No.1. Entrance set in
distyle in antis porch, the side walls of which are pierced by
flat-arched windows. Entrance-range windows are set in
tripartite aedicules, only the centre of which is glazed. To
either side of entrance rises a full-height segmental bay of 3
windows. Ground floor is stuccoed, windows with projecting
sills; brick to upper storeys painted; the first and second
floor openings each with architrave and entablature;
centre-window range of left-hand bay blocked in second and
attic floors; corner-window range of right-hand bay blocked on
second floor, side windows in attic of this bay also blocked.
As with No.1, first-floor balcony with cast-iron railings
except in entrance range. No.9's return much altered; attic
has tripartite window set in tetrastyle Tuscan aedicule, the
entire range recessed slightly. Single C20 dormers to Nos 2
and 4; 2 dormers to No.6; Nos 3, 5 and 7 have 3 flat-arched
dormers each. Sashes of original design recently restored to
No.2. Sashes of original design in No.1: to corner bay, second
and attic floors, 6 x 6 and 3 x 3 respectively; entrance
range, second floor, 6 x 6 centre window, and 2 x 2 side
windows; attic of entrance range top sashes of 3 panes each;
to attic in windows to either side of entrance range, top
sashes of 3 each. Stacks to end and party walls. Rear
elevations of brick, each with a full-height canted bay, some
with cast-iron railings.
INTERIOR: large entrance hall to No.7 has a coffered ceiling;
dogleg stair to the rear; cast-iron balusters in heart and
anthemion pattern with wreathed handrail and curtail bottom
step (similar stair to Nos 8 and 9). Oval skylight to stair
hall. Doors to landings of all units richly moulded. Stair
hall to No.8 has octagonal skylight; to the left of the
entrance a suite of rooms formed by partitions from one larger
room, with Arts and Crafts decorations of late C19 or early
C20 date: frieze of trees and tulips with Jacobean-style
ceiling; Renaissance-Revival chimney piece in wood. Entrance
hall of No.9 entered through distyle in antis; to either side
moulded doorcases with painted roundel overdoors depicting
mythological subjects; all ground-floor decoration date to
late C19 or early C20; room to north has Rococo-Revival
pelmets of same date; richly moulded cornices to most rooms on
ground floor.
Walls and panelled piers to entrances of Nos 7, 8 and 9.
Railings to all areas.
HISTORICAL NOTE: many former residents of note: No.1 was
occupied by the first Lord Sudeley from 1836 until 1858 and by
Sir Albert Sassoon from 1876 to 1896, the latter constructing
his mausoleum in St George's Road (qv). No.1 became the Court
Royal Hotel in 1914 and was converted into Court Royal
Mansions in c1955. In No.2 lived George Augustus Sala in the
1890s, and, later, King Manuel of Portugal during his exile.
The whole terrace constitutes a group with Nos 137-143
(consecutive and including Bristol Court) Marine Parade (qv).
(Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 99E).

Listing NGR: TQ3261703649

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.