History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Augustine

A Grade II Listed Building in Brighton and Hove, The City of Brighton and Hove

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8383 / 50°50'17"N

Longitude: -0.1399 / 0°8'23"W

OS Eastings: 531068

OS Northings: 105951

OS Grid: TQ310059

Mapcode National: GBR JNY.7G4

Mapcode Global: FRA B6LW.H8T

Entry Name: Church of St Augustine

Listing Date: 22 May 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1380950

English Heritage Legacy ID: 481274

Location: Brighton and Hove, BN1

County: The City of Brighton and Hove

Electoral Ward/Division: Preston Park

Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Preston St John with Brighton St Augustine and St Saviour

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text


BRIGHTON

TQ3105NW STANFORD AVENUE, Preston
577-1/21/1164 (South East side)
22/05/95 Church of St Augustine

II

Church. Nave of 1896, chancel of 1914 by GES Streatfield, a
pupil of TG Jackson who worked in R Blomfield's office before
setting up his own practice. Sir TG Jackson acted as
consultant for the later period. Built of red brick in Flemish
bond with stone dressings and tiled roof. Comprises a 5 and a
half bay nave with clerestory and 4 bay apsidal-ended chancel
with ambulatory and clerestory and Lady chapel. South porch.
The tower was never built and the west end was left
uncompleted.
EXTERIOR: nave of 1896 has paired Perpendicular windows to
each bay, articulated by pilasters and blank niches to centre
of each bay. Triple cinquefoil lights to aisles. Octagonal
stone finial to east end. South porch has cross finial and
sundial with motto underneath "THE LIGHT COMETH WHEN NO MAN
CAN WORK" Arched doorcase with trefoil lights to fanlight and
double doors with elaborate scrolled hinges. Chancel of 1914
has windows with reticulated tracery above flying buttresses
with octagonal finials and continuous-light windows below.
Lady chapel has double cinquefoil lights with tracery above
buttresses. West front has end buttresses and central pointed
arched window flanked by 2 lancets. Arched west door set in
penticed porch with triple lancet window.
INTERIOR: Perpendicular style arcade and stained glass by
Charles Eamer Kempe and Walter Ernest Tower.

Listing NGR: TQ3106805951

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.