History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clock Tower in Preston Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Brighton and Hove, Brighton and Hove

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8405 / 50°50'25"N

Longitude: -0.1448 / 0°8'41"W

OS Eastings: 530719

OS Northings: 106195

OS Grid: TQ307061

Mapcode National: GBR JNY.66R

Mapcode Global: FRA B6LW.7D6

Entry Name: Clock Tower in Preston Park

Listing Date: 26 August 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1380948

English Heritage Legacy ID: 481272

Location: Brighton and Hove, BN1

County: Brighton and Hove

Electoral Ward/Division: Preston Park

Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Preston St John with Brighton St Augustine and St Saviour

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Brighton & Hove

Listing Text


BRIGHTON

TQ3006 STANFORD AVENUE
577-1/12/867 (North side)
Clock tower in Preston Park

II

Clock tower. Dated 1891 on the foundation stone to the west,
and 1892 on an inscription to the south. Designed by FJC May
for the Recreation Committee of Brighton Borough Council. Paid
for by Councillor Edward White. Built by F Patching and Son.
Red and buff terracotta, brick and stone, granite, copper,
tiles. The tower is alternately square and octagonal in plan,
and rests on a plinth of granite steps.
The first stage is square, with a battered base of buff
terracotta and aedicules to either side formed of columns of
buff terracotta carrying an entablature with stone frieze and
open pediment of red terracotta; date 1891 in a cartouche to
the tympanum. Within each aedicule, a round-arched niche, the
architrave having a Gibbs surround, heads to keystones and a
polished granite panel below, except on the east side which
has a flat-arched entrance, the door having ornate
wrought-iron hinges, with a shell-niche above. The upper part
has a reverse squinch at the corners in the form of consoles,
making the transition to the second stage which has a red
terracotta frieze of festoons, long sides to the cardinal
directions with 3-light, segmental-arched blank tracery and a
cartouche below flanked by seated putti; then a frieze of
blank ogee tracery; then a third, clock stage with clocks on
each face with a circular moulding and heraldic griffins to
the lower corners holding shields with the initials EW, and
festoons and pediment above; flanking the clock faces are
corbelled, octagonal, panelled, domed pinnacles, perhaps
incomplete; the 4th, octagonal, lantern stage is in timber
with deep bracketed eaves to domed octagonal roof topped by a
dated weather-vane.


Listing NGR: TQ3071906195

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.