This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2861 / 52°17'9"N
Longitude: -1.5323 / 1°31'56"W
OS Eastings: 432001
OS Northings: 265428
OS Grid: SP320654
Mapcode National: GBR 6NJ.PFK
Mapcode Global: VHBXJ.DS9W
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 19 November 1953
Last Amended: 30 November 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1381145
English Heritage Legacy ID: 481505
Location: Royal Leamington Spa, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV31
Civil Parish: Royal Leamington Spa
Built-Up Area: Royal Leamington Spa
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Leamington Priors All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
ROYAL LEAMINGTON SPA
SP3165SE BATH STREET
1208-1/8/27 (East side)
19/11/53 Church of All Saints
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of All Saints)
Church. 1843-1869, with later additions and alterations and
incorporating north transept wall of 1825. By JG Jackson, of
Leamington, with the vicar, Dr John Craig; 1867 south transept
by TC Barry; with additions and alterations of 1889, including
chancel screen donated by Sidney Flavel Jr; and additional 2
west bays of nave and south-west porch and tower of 1892-1902
by Sir A Blomfield. 1986 addition of Urquart Room and Parish
Offices to west end of nave. Ashlar with Welsh slate roof.
STYLE: French Gothic.
PLAN: 4-stage south-west tower with porch; 6-bay nave with
clerestory and aisles, nave has north-west turret; 2-bay
transepts, to north transept an entrance, also an east turret
with clock with steeple, and to south transept an entrance
with Galilee porch; apsidal chancel with north Lady Chapel and
south Chapel of All Souls.
EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth, moulded band; stepped buttresses
to aisles and tower; battlements. Tower: west entrance porch
to lower stage: a plank door in hollow-chamfered,
pointed-arched surround with foliage to spandrels and
architrave with traceried decoration; above a 3-light window
to each side. Second stage: band, 2-light windows. Third
stage: band, slits. Fourth stage: band, tall, 2-light belfry
openings, band, low parapet with pinnacles with finials to
angles. Nave: to west end a tall, 5-light window; aisles, 2
windows to west have 4-centred arches, otherwise
pointed-arched, 5-light windows. Clerestorys have 5-light,
pointed-arched windows. Transepts: rose window to each end,
that to south derived from Church of St Ouen, Rouen, that to
north derived from Rouen Cathedral. To east and south ends of
south chapel are tall, 3-light, pointed-arched windows. Apse
has 5 tall 3-light windows.
INTERIOR: balcony to west end. Column clusters to nave and
transepts with treble-chamfered, pointed-arched arcade with
roll-moulding to head. To transepts are 4-centred-arched
openings with traceried frieze above, and within to north-east
a tall pointed arch with double-chamfered, hollow moulding,
containing organ. Carved reredos based on Last Supper. Hammer
beam roof. Medieval effigy of an abbot in north porch. Wall
tablets dating back to 1808. Apse stained glass, 1851, by
Chance of Birmingham.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Bath Street was a main street of the C18
village of Leamington.
All Saints Church forms part of a group which includes
Victoria Bridge, Parade, the Royal Pump Room and Baths, Parade
and Victoria Terrace (qqv).
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Wedgwood A:
Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-1990: 333-4; Cave LF: Royal
Leamington Spa Its History and Development: Chichester: 1988-:
Listing NGR: SP3200165428
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings