This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2965 / 52°17'47"N
Longitude: -1.5374 / 1°32'14"W
OS Eastings: 431644
OS Northings: 266587
OS Grid: SP316665
Mapcode National: GBR 6NB.VHF
Mapcode Global: VHBXJ.9JLV
Entry Name: Binswood Hall North Leamington School
Listing Date: 25 March 1970
Last Amended: 30 November 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1381190
English Heritage Legacy ID: 481550
Location: Royal Leamington Spa, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV32
Civil Parish: Royal Leamington Spa
Built-Up Area: Royal Leamington Spa
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Leamington Spa Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
ROYAL LEAMINGTON SPA
SP3166NE BINSWOOD AVENUE
1208-1/3/68 (North side)
25/03/70 Binswood Hall, North Leamington
(Formerly Listed as:
School. 1847-8 by DG Squirhill of Leamington, with later
additions and alterations including chapel to rear of c1867
with stained glass in the apse by Holland of 1858, and
gymnasium of 1893. Pinkish-red brick with purple brick and
ashlar dressings, with Welsh slate and lead roofs.
STYLE: Tudor Revival.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 9 bays with basement to left and further
entrance range to left, 3 extensions to rear.
Main range: to centre 7 bays a single-storey arcade projects,
to second and eighth bays are tall, octagonal turrets, then
outer gable-ended bays. Chamfered plinth, continuous moulded
sill band. Off-set buttresses between bays have pinnacles.
Diaper pattern brickwork to facade.
Ground floor. Central entrance projects: 4 steps to 4-centre
arched double doors with linen-fold panelling and traceried
decoration to head, in 4-centre-arched surround with
roll-moulding and with quatrefoil decoration in the spandrels;
hoodmould has face stops of Sir Francis Bacon and Sir Thomas
More; angle buttresses, upshot with the Jephson arms. Arcade
has buttresses and battlements; four 3-cusped-light windows in
straight-headed, quoined surrounds; band. Turrets have single
Outer bays have 4-cinquefoil-light windows with
straight-headed surrounds; blind arcades above with coats of
arms of benefactors, the Willes, Wise, and Fontayne-Wilson
First floor: centre range has tall, 6-light windows in two
stages with perpendicular-type tracery to heads and continuous
hoodmould; turrets have lancet lights in double-chamfered
surrounds and continuous hoodmoulds to 3 sides; outer bays
have 4-light windows with perpendicular-type tracery to heads
in straight-headed surrounds, outer bays have continuous
quoined surround through ground and first floors. Battlements
to centre range, ogeed tent roofs to turrets, and to end bays
are pointed gables with carved plaques. Chamfered copings.
Range to left has entrance, glazed doors in chamfered surround
with hoodmould; first floor has casement window, copings to
To rear: chapel of 2 storeys, 5 bays and apse. Ground floor
has casement windows with double-chamfered, 4-centre-arched
surrounds; apse has blind arcade of pointed arches with
inserted casements. Buttresses between bays support
First floor: 3 centre bays have 3-light windows with transoms
and perpendicular-type tracery to heads in 4-centred,
roll-moulded surrounds; end bay has lancet window, otherwise
blind; apse has 2-cusped-light, pointed windows in
INTERIOR: main range has narrow openwell staircase with
alternately turned and stick balusters and wreathed handrail.
Main hall: approximately 30m x 10m; roof has 6 bays of richly
carved beams on corbels; dado with linenfold panelling;
continuous cornice, cambered-arched openings to 'cloisters', 3
pointed-arched openings with head-stops (representing
Wycliffe, Harvey, Newton and Chaucer) and quatrefoils to
First floor: former original chapel to left has moulded
cornice, dado rail and 3 arches (2 blocked) on columns. Added
former chapel to rear has gallery blind tracery to balcony,
roll-moulded surrounds to windows, 4-centred hollow-moulded
arch to apse with column shafts and brattished capitals;
pointed-arched, double doors have linenfold panelling.
HISTORICAL NOTE: in 1844 a company was formed to establish a
college, larger premises were needed by 1846 the foundation
stone of this building was laid on 7 April 1847 by Dr Jephson,
opened 1 August 1848. From 1903-1916 it was occupied by the
Society of the Sacred Heart, a French Catholic convent school.
During the rest of the First World War it was occupied by
Dover College, and then once more (1922) Leamington College.
Distinguished old boys include Lytton Strachey, the poet DJ
Enfield, Sir Frank Whittle (inventor of the jet engine), and
international rugby player, Keith Savage.
(Leamington College 1902-1977: 1977-: 11-12; The Buildings of
England: Pevsner N and Wedgwood A: Warwickshire:
Harmondsworth: 1966-1990: 335).
Listing NGR: SP3164466587
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings