This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2898 / 52°17'23"N
Longitude: -1.5351 / 1°32'6"W
OS Eastings: 431807
OS Northings: 265840
OS Grid: SP318658
Mapcode National: GBR 6NJ.GQ3
Mapcode Global: VHBXJ.BQT0
Entry Name: Regent Hotel
Listing Date: 19 November 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1381422
English Heritage Legacy ID: 481784
Location: Royal Leamington Spa, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV32
Civil Parish: Royal Leamington Spa
Built-Up Area: Royal Leamington Spa
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Leamington Priors All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
ROYAL LEAMINGTON SPA
1208-1/7/274 (East side)
Hotel. Foundation stone laid 18 July 1818, opened 19 August
1819, with later additions and alterations including those of
c1905, and with mid-C20 range to rear. For Mr John Williams,
by CS Smith of Warwick. Additions and alterations include
mid-C19 re-siting of main entrance; those of 1905 for Mr John
Cridlan. Pinkish-brown brick in Flemish bond with painted
stucco facades, Coade stone coats of arms, and concealed roof.
PLAN: central hallway.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys, 7 first-floor windows. The outer bays are
wider and project. Plinth and horizontal rustication to ground
floor of main facade and returns. First-floor band, becomes
ovolo-moulded cornice to outer bays which continues to
returns, interrupted by windows. 4 Tuscan pilasters, one to
each end of outer bays, through first and second floors.
Double frieze, cornice, which continues to right return.
Pilasters with incised decoration to each end of outer bays to
third floor. Frieze, cornice, blocking course, copings which
continue to right return.
First floor: outer bays have 1/1 sashes in moulded surrounds
with frieze and cornice. Otherwise plate-glass French windows
with overlights, that to centre has tooled surround, and
consoles supporting open segmental pediment containing Prince
of Wales feathers.
Second and third floors have 1/1 sashes throughout.
Ground floor: central wide entrance has Tuscan pilasters
supporting hood. Roll-edged step to central revolving doors
between elliptically-arched, part-glazed, panelled surrounds
with left side door; egg-and-dart cornice, divided overlight.
1/1 sashes. All windows in plain reveals, sills to second
Right return (original entrance front): 4 storeys, 3
first-floor windows, with rear range of 4 lower storeys, 7
Main range: through first and second floors are outer Tuscan
pilasters, similar pilasters with incised decoration to third
floor. First floor has 1/1 sashes, that to centre with moulded
surround, frieze and cornice.
Second and third floors: 1/1 sashes with similar smaller
Ground floor, entrance: central tetrastyle Doric porch with
full entablature, above, a lion and unicorn with Prince of
Wales feathers. Doorway with multi-pane glazing. Tripartite
windows, to left a 1/1 sash between narrower 1/1 sashes, to
right with multi-pane glazing. All windows in plain reveals,
those to ground and second floors with sills.
Range to rear has mainly 6/6 sashes with plain reveals and
Left return (formerly garden facade), main range: 4 storeys, 9
first-floor openings. First, second and third floors have 1/1
sashes, the second and seventh bays are blind. Ground floor
has part-glazed doors to fourth bay with divided overlight,
otherwise tall 1/1 sashes. All with plain reveals, those to
second floor with sills.
Rear range has four 6/6 sashes with flat arches, plain reveals
INTERIOR: imperial staircase with decorative cast-iron
balustrade of three balusters, then scrolling heart and
paterae motif. Marble and cast-iron fireplaces to several
rooms, shutters now painted over, 6-panel doors, cornices.
Ground floor has elaborate Edwardian rococo revival and
Georgian Revival plasterwork and marble fireplaces to main
HISTORICAL NOTE: the foundation stone was laid by Miss
Greatheed, in front of Sarah Siddons, the actress. The hotel
opened as Williams Hotel, but 3 weeks later was renamed The
Regent by permission of the Prince Regent (later George IV).
When built, the hotel was one of the largest in Europe.
Visited by Princess (later, Queen) Victoria in 1830, by the
Duke of Wellington in 1827, John Nash, Prince Louis Napoleon
(later Napoleon III), and Empress Eugenie in 1860 and by a
large number of notable C19 figures.
(Cridlan FJ: Regent Hotel Royal Leamington Spa A Biographical
Booklet: Royal Leamington Spa: -1984; Cridlan FJ: The Regent
Through the Years: Royal Leamington Spa: -1992; Roth D: Early
C19 Decorative Ironwork: a study based on Leamington Spa:
1976-: P.79,80; FIGS.107-8.; Cave LF: Royal Leamington Spa Its
History and Development: Chichester: 1988-: 38, 55, 63-5).
Listing NGR: SP3180765840
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings