History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Royal Leamington Spa, Warwickshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2779 / 52°16'40"N

Longitude: -1.5306 / 1°31'50"W

OS Eastings: 432122

OS Northings: 264521

OS Grid: SP321645

Mapcode National: GBR 6NQ.3V4

Mapcode Global: VHBXQ.F06L

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 25 March 1970

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1381539

English Heritage Legacy ID: 481901

Location: Royal Leamington Spa, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV31

County: Warwickshire

District: Warwick

Civil Parish: Royal Leamington Spa

Built-Up Area: Royal Leamington Spa

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: South Leamington Priors St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Leamington Spa

Listing Text


ROYAL LEAMINGTON SPA

SP3264NW TACHBROOK STREET
1208-1/13/385 (South side)
25/03/70 Church of St John the Baptist

II*

Church. 1877-8, (north-east entrance dated 1877). Architect
John Cundall of Leamington. Pinkish-brown brick in Flemish
bond with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof.
STYLE: Gothic Revival, Early English.
PLAN: 6-bay nave with clerestory and aisles, 4-stage
north-east tower with spire and south transept, single-bay
apsidal chancel with vestry to south and round-ended Lady
Chapel to north.
EXTERIOR: north side of church faces street. Chamfered plinth,
clasping buttresses to angles and slender buttresses to
clerestory. North and south porches to west end of nave, main
entrance to north porch: slender columns with foliate capitals
support two orders of arches with hollow and roll moulding,
above a blind arcade has central niche with Christ the Good
Shepherd; within, plank door with double-chamfered, pointed
arch. South porch has pointed arch with chamfered jambs and
hollow- and roll- moulding to head, within a pointed plank
door, 2-light window with bar tracery.
West end: first stage, continuous chamfered sill band, 4
lancet windows; second stage: 3 stepped lancets, decorative
band to gable, copings. Aisles (alike): continuous sill band,
pair of lancet windows to each bay with roll-moulded
surrounds, continuous impost band. Clerestory (north and south
alike): continuous sill band, 3 stepped lancets to each bay;
brattished eaves band. Pinnacle to west.
Tower: buttresses with off-sets to almost full height; stair
turret to north-east corner; first stage, to north side a
plank door in pointed-arched surround with continuous
hoodmould, impost band; second stage: 2-light window with bar
tracery to head, hoodmould continues as impost band; third
stage: blind arcade has 2 slit windows, band; 2-light belfry
windows with bar tracery to heads, band with blind arcade,
chamfered band with gargoyles; broach spire has pinnacles to
each corner and further 2-light gabled belfry windows.
South transept: 3-light window with bar tracery to head. 3
trefoil-headed lights to vestry. Lady Chapel has lancet
windows. Chancel has 3-light window with bar tracery to head
and blind bay, apse has pairs of lancets and 3 stepped lancets
to east end.
INTERIOR: brick faced; nave has 6-bay arcade of alternate

octagonal and cylindrical columns with triple-chamfered
pointed arcade with roll- and hollow- moulding; aisle windows
have roll-moulded surrounds; slender piers supporting
chamfered pointed arches to clerestory windows; brattished
cornices. Nave has coved wagon roof. Tall double-chamfered
chancel arch has slender column and 3 orders of arches with
roll-moulding.
Stained glass to chancel and aisles, 1884-9, including north
aisle memorial window to John Cundall, the architect.
To chancel a painted panel of the Baptism and sanctuary
ensemble with elaborate reredos and painted wall frieze all of
c1900.
Minton tiles to chancel floor. Chancel has canted ceiled
panelled roof.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Wedgwood A:
Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-1990: 334).

Listing NGR: SP3212264521

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.