This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1734 / 52°10'24"N
Longitude: -1.5468 / 1°32'48"W
OS Eastings: 431087
OS Northings: 252895
OS Grid: SP310528
Mapcode National: GBR 5NJ.RQN
Mapcode Global: VHBY3.4MLP
Entry Name: Stable Block Immediately North East of Compton Verney
Listing Date: 5 April 1967
Last Amended: 19 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1381870
English Heritage Legacy ID: 482235
Location: Compton Verney, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV35
Civil Parish: Compton Verney
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Combroke St Mary and St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP35SW COMPTON VERNEY
1901-1/6/71 Stable block immediately north-east
05/04/67 of Compton Verney
(Formerly Listed as:
Stables at Compton Verney)
Stable block, now apartments. Early to mid C18 with late C20
alterations. By James Gibbs. Limestone ashlar and dressed
stone; hipped graduated stone slate roof. Courtyard plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; symmetrical 9-window south range with
3-window centre breaking forward under pediment. Plain plinth
and top cornice; pediment has Verney crest in roundel;
rusticated quoins. 3 entrances have doorcases with Gibbs
surrounds, large key blocks with flanking voussoirs and
pediments; late C20 raised sills to French windows. Each
entrance flanked by windows with sills, Gibbs surrounds and
First-floor windows have architraves carried round all 4 sides
and 3/3 sashes. Windows noted as retaining some crown glass.
Clock turret has square base with clock faces and bell-stage
with recessed canted angles and round arches, cornice and
cupola with weather-vane.
Right return similar: 5-window range, the ends breaking
forward, with central elliptical archway with rusticated arch
and lantern bracket; one side of through passage pierced with
C20 round windows.
Left return similar, but the archway has ashlar infill and
elliptical-headed entrance in hollow-chamfered arch.
Rear is plain dressed stone, windows with plain lintels over
6/9 sashes; 9 windows with 6-pane sashes to first floor and 7
C20 gabled dormers.
COURTYARD: ground level has been raised; dressed stone with
ashlar dressings; to south 3 rebated round-headed arches with
C20 infill, flanking entrances with glazed side lights to
6-fielded-panel doors; first floor has 3 windows flanked by
partly blocked pitching doors, all with 6-pane sashes; north
West side has elliptical arch with entrance in later infill;
window to left has 12-pane sash, blocked rebated elliptical
arch to right with inserted segmental-headed 12-pane sash; 2
windows to first floor with 6-pane sashes; east side similar,
but open arch and flanking windows with 12-pane sashes.
INTERIOR: not inspected, but much altered with late C20
fittings and stairs.
Important group with the house.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner, N & Wedgwood, A:
Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 240).
Listing NGR: SP3107752913
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings